Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

A night at the pee wee league baseball draft

I played in this league for several years, so when I got a chance to see how the draft works, I jumped at the chance. That and I need to do 20 hours of community service by July. Here's some info

- If a kid has good parents, his stock will rise. If a kid has bad (overbearing) parents, his stock will drop faster than Enron's.

- If there are brothers or twins, and one is good and one not so good, they both will fall.

- If you play another sport, your stock will drop

- I didn't know this, but you can make trades after the draft. Wow!

- Most of the people dress casually, but one manager came in a suit.

That's all I can think of, but I gotta say that this was an incredibly interesting event.

bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
Jets80
High School Varsity

Whats up with the 20 hours of community service ?
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When a friend and I coached a little league team here in a Lawrence rec league, we were just assigned players. Coaching's really fun as long as you don't have jerks for parents. Then again, we were playing coach pitch to 3rd and 4th graders and tried to rotate players so they played every position and hit everywhere in the lineup. Winning was nice, but it's more fun to see the "not very good" kid's eyes light up when you tell him he's hitting 2nd.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Jets

Alcohol related offense, but not an MIP

This is a select league for 11-12 year olds BTW.

Last edited by bigdawg2003 : 02-13-2003 at 08:55 PM.
bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:58 PM   #5
Jets80
High School Varsity

Ahhh.. reminds me of my own days of community service. What an easy way to repay a night of irresponsible boozing.

Last edited by Jets80 : 02-13-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, I still gotta do about 18 of the 30 hours I was assigned (sentenced) nearly a year ago. But it's so hard to find time to do it when you both go to school and work full time...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
sooner333
College Starter

I am currently coaching in a rec basketball league for kids in grades 9-12. Kinda funny because I'm a 12th grader myself, but I went under the knife in late November and couldn't play the whole season, but wanted to be part of the action. Thus, I also found out how the draft worked.

I found out first that I could protect one player, and since I didn't have a child in the league, I could pick one of my friends (I thought I could do this, so I knew who I was going to pick). Well, we state which round he should go in, and then the rest of the coaches weigh in. Well, thinking my guy is a second rounder, I try to sneak him in the third...big mistake. Another friend who is attending the draft with his dad (another coach) exclaims "No way!" and says that he is a round one pick for sure...he can shoot, dribble, and was part of the high school team last year. Well, the next guy around the table trys to screw everyone and agreed, and nobody else knew, so I got stuck with him as a first rounder.

The rest of the draft went well with me getting most of what I wanted. Only one team didn't try to field a good team, instead opting to pick a team full of soccer players. The coaching itself has been fun...a surprise being the amount of respect I get from my players despite me being a peer. I bought a clipboard to diagram defenses, and in one tight game, an inbounds pass. I had to play last game (I am now able) because we only had five, and some guys would need rest. I would do it again in the future for community service, because its something I really look forward to each week (plus there are no practices).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This thread has the potential to be one of the most entertaining of all time, simply because it's managed to branch into two different, alternating topics: coaching children's sports, and getting sentenced to community service.

I hope it goes on for pages.

Post #34: I coach in a softball league for disadvantaged youth.
Post #35: I got arrested for robbing a liquor store.
Post #36: Little Timmy finally got his first hit today. His parents were so proud!
Post #37: I ran over a cop.
Post #38: One of the kids on my team has a disability. Seeing the other kids go out of their way to help him is just so heartwarming. It renews my faith in the human spirit.
Post #39: I once killed and ate a drifter.

Etc...
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That is interesting. I remember Little League tryouts well. I had just moved to the area, so no one knew who I was, and I sealed my fate as #1 pick overall by accident. They were hitting grounders to us at SS, and one of the hits to me was an accidental line drive over my head. Before the guy could tell me to let it go, I jumped higher than I think I've ever jumped in my life and caught it. Complete fluke. And that was that!

Plus, I didn't have a crappy twin, which obviously helped.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Post 39 really gets you thinking...
Old 02-14-2003, 10:31 AM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs

Post #34: I coach in a softball league for disadvantaged youth.
Post #35: I got arrested for robbing a liquor store.
Post #36: Little Timmy finally got his first hit today. His parents were so proud!
Post #37: I ran over a cop.
Post #38: One of the kids on my team has a disability. Seeing the other kids go out of their way to help him is just so heartwarming. It renews my faith in the human spirit.
Post #39: I once killed and ate a drifter.

Etc...

I'm not exactly sure why, but I laughed so hard at this that Dr Pepper came out my nose and all my cubicle mates are looking at me funny now.

Oh, and I ran over a cop one time. I wore my Randy Moss jersey to the trial.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I once voluntarily served community service (actually, I got 1 credit in a college course), helping out two home-ridden elderly/disabled. The one I spent about 35 of 40 hours with was a middle-aged ex-fireman who had severley hurt his back in the line of duty. He was always wacked out on morphine and nearly incapable of walking/talking coherently. To top it off, he was a pretty shady character, and my "community service" time ended up being some odd stuff.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote