Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
WrongWay
Banned

Cuba banned from upcoming World Baseball Classic.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...14cubawbc.html
Quote:

Cuba Out Of World Baseball Classic
By Alan Schwarz
December 14, 2005

NEW YORK--The upcoming World Baseball Classic, heralded as the greatest international baseball tournament ever, will probably be missing one of its most attractive participants: Cuba.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury denied Major League Baseball permission to let Cuba participate, the Miami Herald first reported on its website Wednesday. The news was confirmed to Baseball America by MLB president Bob DuPuy, who wrote in an e-mail message that he was “disappointed,” and that both MLB and the Players Association, joint coordinators of the tournament, were “continuing to try whatever channels may be open.”

An official announcement was forthcoming, DuPuy said. Officials from the U.S. Treasury Department were not immediately available for comment.

If Cuba is not permitted to play, a possibility for which World Baseball Classic officials have long prepared, it is expected that either Nicaragua or Colombia will be invited as the 16th participant.

Because Cuba would reap financial benefit from having a team participate in the World Baseball Classic, a license must first be approved by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, which oversees the United States’ economic embargo against Cuba.

According to the Herald, several Cuban-American members of the Congress urged the Treasury Department to decline the license. The paper quoted a letter from Rep. Lincoln Díaz-Balart of Miami as claiming that Cuba’s participation would “allow a state sponsor of terrorism to use U.S. currency to finance its machinery of oppression.” The Herald reported that Díaz-Balart wrote to MLB commissioner Bud Selig last week claiming, “It is difficult to believe that major league baseball would have invited a team from apartheid-era South Africa to participate in a tournament.”

Meanwhile, New York Rep. José Serrano had issued a statement supporting Cuba’s inclusion. “Let's keep politics out of this,” he said.

The possibility of allowing players who have defected from Cuba, such as new Diamondbacks pitcher Orlando Hernandez and Nationals pitcher Livan Hernandez, has been discussed. However, it is not clear whether such players would be interested in representing their former homeland. Livan Hernandez now lives in Puerto Rico and has stated his interest in representing that country in the Classic.

Any team from Cuba would have been considered a strong one, but not necessarily on par with powerhouses such as the United States, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. Cuba has dominated all levels of international competition throughout the 1960s through the 2000s, continuing to win virtually every international tournament even after the inclusion of professionals. Its lone loss in medal-round play since 1999, when the U.S. began to send minor leaguers to international tournaments, was to Ben Sheets in the 2000 Olympic gold-medal game. The March 3-20 World Baseball Classic will be open to and mostly populated by major leaguers, however, almost certainly eroding Cuba’s longtime edge.

How is this different than the Olympics or The World Cup?

Will this hurt the United State's chances of land future International Events.

Didn't we learn anything from the 1980 Winter Olympics?

WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

lol. Nice World Baseball Classic this'll be without Cuba then. :P
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

stupid
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
ScottVib
High School Varsity

This is different from the Olympics and the World Cup in that they are administered by international agencies.

The World Baseball Classic is administered by Major League Baseball, an American entity and is thereby bound by US rules, including the embargo.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

LET CHE PLAY

Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

That's just fucking stupid.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

I misread the title, thought it said "Cubs banned from upcoming World Series." Was going to post something like "does it matter."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
lungs
Pro Rookie

This is fucking ridiculous. Too bad the fucking Batistianos from South Florida have a strangehold on American politics when policy toward Cuba is concerned.

Those votes in South Florida, a key swing state, are too important for any politician to grow a pair and allow something like this to happen.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

OFAC is a bitch.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Livan Hernandez now lives in Puerto Rico and has stated his interest in representing that country in the Classic.

'That country' is part of our country. Dumb journalists.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
'That country' is part of our country. Dumb journalists.

Does Puerto Rico nationals hold any type of US citizenship?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-14-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
clintl
College Starter

Yes. They are full U.S. citizens. But they are sort of the U.S. counterpart to what the Ukraine was in the Soviet era with respect to international sports.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
Havok
College Starter

F*ck Cuba

until that dickhead finally dies, im all for this.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #14
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Did we find ourselves a Cuban-American?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #15
Havok
College Starter

lol no.... but i live in FLA and i have talked to quite a few Cuban-Americans.

Its amazing how soon we forget what kind of man is running that country. Why don't we invite the North Korens to play in the tourney aswell?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
F*ck Cuba

until that dickhead finally dies, im all for this.

So a dickhead replaced another dickhead in 1959. We like the first dickhead but don't like the second.

So 46 years later the first dickhead's cronies live in Florida and keep pushing this crap down our throat.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #17
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs
So a dickhead replaced another dickhead in 1959. We like the first dickhead but don't like the second.

So 46 years later the first dickhead's cronies live in Florida and keep pushing this crap down our throat.

huh yeah....
Old 12-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Its amazing how soon we forget what kind of man is running that country.

We didn't forget ... we're just a nation chock full of people who don't really give a damn what happens as long as it doesn't interfere with our entertainment. Sad but true.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #19
lungs
Pro Rookie

And the guy running the country before Castro was soooo much better.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And the guy running the country before Castro was soooo much better.
Well that settles it. If the previous guy was horrible, then that excuses anything Castro does.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Dola - If we're going down this path, can we ban Venezuela too? Chavez is basically a more active Castro at this point, and they're actually a threat to win.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Well that settles it. If the previous guy was horrible, then that excuses anything Castro does.

It doesn't excuse anything Castro has done. But this is bringing politics into a sporting event that's stupid.

So, yeah, should Venezuela seriously be excluded also?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But this is bringing politics into a sporting event that's stupid.

If it were just "a sporting event", I might agree with you ... but it isn't.

It's a business proposition, one from which Cuba would reap financial benefit by participating in.

And that's a lot bigger than some exhibition baseball tournament.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #24
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
It doesn't excuse anything Castro has done. But this is bringing politics into a sporting event that's stupid.

So, yeah, should Venezuela seriously be excluded also?

I don't think it's introducing politics ... I think it's just interpreting the embargo correctly. But if you think the embargo should go away, go ahead and say it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #25
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I don't think it's introducing politics ... I think it's just interpreting the embargo correctly. But if you think the embargo should go away, go ahead and say it.

Yeah, I'm absolutely in favor of ending the embargo.

Embargo or not, hopefully I can take this trip in the next few years:

http://www.hellocuba.ca/cubaball/
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Embargo or not, hopefully I can take this trip in the next few years:

Quote:
we're just a nation chock full of people who don't really give a damn what happens as long as it doesn't interfere with our entertainment.

Eerie, ain't it?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #27
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Eerie, ain't it?

You are correct. I don't give a damn.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are correct. I don't give a damn.

Quote:
Interests:football, dope, drinking
Favorite Football Team:cowboys

I would never have guessed.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

Well, I guess I just don't really give a damn what they do in Cuba. They sure as hell don't pose a threat to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #30
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Question How about the jerseys?

As a full-blooded Puerto Rican, I just want to know if the jerseys these guys wear during the tournament will ever be available. I'd like one
Old 12-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #31
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Why the fuck is a CHINESE team allowed in, but not a CUBAN team? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Apparently it is ok to do business with countries like that, as long as the US government endorses it. "Global economy" my ass.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #32
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Just curious. Do americans even realize the entire world condemns the embargo? The most recent vote by a margin of 182-4:

Quote:
Vote on Necessity of Ending Embargo against Cuba

The draft resolution on the necessity of ending the economic, commercial and financial embargo imposed by the United States against Cuba (document A/60/L.9) was adopted by a recorded vote of 182 in favour to 4 against, with 1 abstention, as follows:

In favour: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Against: Israel, Marshall Islands, Palau, United States.

Abstain: Federated States of Micronesia.

Absent: El Salvador, Iraq, Morocco, Nicaragua.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...0&Cr=cuba&Cr1=
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #33
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "Cubs banned from World Baseball Series."

I thought, well that is nothing new.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #34
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Marshall Islands get a vote? Isn't that just a US puppet government?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #35
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It seems the embargo isn't working anyway. Isn't it time to invade the evil Cuban nation by now? We only gave Iraq a little over a decade to bow down.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 PM   #36
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
It seems the embargo isn't working anyway. Isn't it time to invade the evil Cuban nation by now? We only gave Iraq a little over a decade to bow down.

and now the threads gone to hell, thanks Tek, your a moron.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #37
lungs
Pro Rookie

China is different. Cuba can't do much to fight back against our embargo so they get picked on. Vietnam also. They taught us a nice little lesson a few decades back, if I recall correctly.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
China is different. Cuba can't do much to fight back against our embargo so they get picked on. Vietnam also. They taught us a nice little lesson a few decades back, if I recall correctly.

Yes, we learned what happens when we give far too much credence to those who possess neither will nor good judgement.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #39
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
and now the threads gone to hell, thanks Tek, your a moron.

It was a joke. You're a jackass. By the way, "your a moron" doesn't mean what you think it does. I hope english is not your primary/first language, because you do not really know it.

Last edited by Tekneek : 12-15-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #40
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
It was a joke. You're a jackass. By the way, "your a moron" doesn't mean what you think it does. I hope english is not your primary/first language, because you do not really know it.

i gues i just arn't as smart as yu be

Last edited by Havok : 12-15-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #41
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
Just curious. Do americans even realize the entire world condemns the embargo? The most recent vote by a margin of 182-4:

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...0&Cr=cuba&Cr1=
That is crazy. I see Canada on the list, and that is how I get down to Cuba for Scuba Diving. There is Mexico, and I know when I go down to Cabo I can buy a box of Cuban cigars.

So, what are these countries voting on? Are they voting on the US Embargo, because I know that some of those countries listed do not have an Embargo with Cuba.

Personally, I don't get this whole Cuba thing. With China out there I think Cuba should be the least of our worries.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #42
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
That is crazy. I see Canada on the list, and that is how I get down to Cuba for Scuba Diving. There is Mexico, and I know when I go down to Cabo I can buy a box of Cuban cigars.

So, what are these countries voting on? Are they voting on the US Embargo, because I know that some of those countries listed do not have an Embargo with Cuba.

Personally, I don't get this whole Cuba thing. With China out there I think Cuba should be the least of our worries.

Uhhh.. do you not see United States on that list somewhere? Should kind of tell you who's on what side.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #43
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Uhhh.. do you not see United States on that list somewhere? Should kind of tell you who's on what side.
Sorry, I read that backwards. All those countires on the list are Against the U.S> and are NOT for the Embargo.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #44
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, we learned what happens when we give far too much credence to those who possess neither will nor good judgement.

Worst. Understanding. Of. History. Ever.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Worst. Understanding. Of. History. Ever.

Spare me puh-leeze.

The lack of will shown by this nation, the disgusting acceptance of treason, and the utter lack of judgemental ability displayed during that era is the low point of American history in the past hundred years. Easily the most damaging event for the U.S. in the 20th century, largely because we allowed too much influence by a collection of "useful idiots". It was a blow from which we still haven't recovered, nor sadly, do I really believe we ever will. And we see the legacy of that every day
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Almost as dumb as a World Series that only includes North American teams.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #47
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No Jon that isn't what happened. You're trying to isolate Vietnam in world politics and you simply can't. You can have whatever view of demonstrators that you want, but in the end they had very little effect on the actual policy.

Remember that as Vietnam escalated we knew that China was likely to get heavily involved if we invaded N. Vietnam. It had happened in Korea and was likely to happen again. The general believe was that as long as we stayed in the South the Chinese would stay out. We could have never "won" Vietnam without invading the North and we couldn't invade the North without making a Chinese intervention likely.

The protesters made a lot of noise and were on TV a lot, but I don't believe the outcome woud have been any different without them. As it was the war continued for years after the explosion of resistance in 1968. Hell Nixon/Kissinger kept escalating bombing campaigns. But like I said, you can think whatever you want of the protesters, I'm not going to defend them.

Lastly, don't forget that one of the reasons mainstream America started to turn against the war was that the leaders of the military and the President kept lying to them. Escalated body counts, premature declarations of victory, coverups of mistreatment of civilians, etc. Americans will back a war they believe to be just, but as soon as that believe fades support will vanish.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #48
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
If it were just "a sporting event", I might agree with you ... but it isn't.

It's a business proposition, one from which Cuba would reap financial benefit by participating in.

And that's a lot bigger than some exhibition baseball tournament.
What are you talking about. This is what was mentioned in the original article. I do not think Bud Selig wants to get into Business with Castro. Were they going to take all the profit generated from the tournament and devide it between the teams then?

I am curious as to what will be so different between this tournament and say the World Cup? Where does the profit go from World Cup tickets sales, merchandising, and television revenuethen, if it is not allowed to go back to the team competing?

Can Major league Baseball create some kind of Organization like the Organization that puts on the World Cup to get around this law?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
No Jon that isn't what happened. You're trying to isolate Vietnam in world politics and you simply can't.

No, I'm isolating it as it affected the United States. There's a difference there (although I readily admit that I'm not sure that I've articulated it well with that simple sentence.)

Quote:
We could have never "won" Vietnam without invading the North and we couldn't invade the North without making a Chinese intervention likely.

And I believe the consequences of failing to do so were worth the risk of Chinese intervention.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #50
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like they are gonna let them play after all:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10943151/

Cuba gets U.S. permission to play in WBC
Treasury Department pressured by Major League Baseball, other officials

Updated: 11:27 a.m. ET Jan. 20, 2006

NEW YORK - Cuba will be allowed to play in the World Baseball Classic, after all.

The U.S. Treasury Department issued a license Friday allowing the Cubans to participate in the 16-team tournament, a government and a baseball official said. The pair spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement had not been made.

Baseball’s first application was denied in mid-December by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, but the commissioner’s office and the players’ association reapplied after Cuba said it would donate any profits it receives to victims of Hurricane Katrina.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote