Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Go strategy and play

I received a very handsome go board - something that I have long wanted. It has been a long time since I really played much, but I would liek to get back into the game a bit.

I realize it's not as cutting edge as all the computer war games ... but there is something awfully elegant about the centuries-old invention that might actually be the perfect war game. (I also happen to believe that the game's aesthetics are very pleasing, regardless)

So... anyone here play go? Anyone have any sites they can recommend for someone trying to get back into the game? Places to play against the computer, or real opponents, online?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If it's the game I'm thinking of with the stones and all that (I got a bit confused when you referred to it as a "war game," although I think I know what you mean), I played at Yahoo a little bit. I realize that you probably won't get the most savvy of competition there, but I never did understand the rules very well, so I figured that I'd just play at the most accessible place possible.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

QS, I've had my butt handed to me a number of times over on Yahoo! Games. I realize that may say more about the quality of my own play than that of my opponents, but I've found it to be both enlightening and instructive for my level.

I've also seen some downloadable Go programs, but none of them have really caught fire with me, as it were. I always end up going back to the live opponents at Yahoo.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know nothing about go, but was impressed to read somewhere that there are so many permutations of possible moves that the speed of light itself provides a ceiling to the ability of a computer to "solve" the game in the way that high end computers have effectively "solved" chess.

Sorry I can't help with your question.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
high end computers have effectively "solved" chess.

Eh?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I was going to say something about it, but I didn't want to threadjack. But I agree with MattJones4Heisman...computers using opening books and endgame tablebases can now compete at the highest level against humans, but they have by no means even effectively solved chess.

Quik, this site appears to have enough Go links to keep you busy for the rest of your life: hxxp://www.goban.demon.co.uk/go/main.html
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I put it in quotes and modified it with effectively to indicate that I was using the term as shorthand.

I was trying to indicate what JAG did--that top notch computers can compete against top notch humans and make a real game of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:15 AM   #8
Brillig
College Prospect

I suppose it won't surprise anyone to hear that I'm an avid Go player... Never tried playing online though, and the last time I checked computer simulations, they were terrible.

There's a certain aesthetic to a physical set that playing online can't capture...
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Brillig,

Consider me unsurprised. I got into the game a couple of years ago after reading Game Over: Press Start to Continue. It was completely foreign to me prior to that, but I was so fascinated by the discovery that several video game companies have been named after Go terms over the years (Atari being perhaps the most prominent) that I decided to learn how to play.

I'm nowhere near mastery of the game, but I'd consider it an honor if either you or QuikSand were willing to play a match or two with me. Goodness knows it's hard enough to find a decent game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote