Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

Advice on a fantasy baseball trade...

I've been offered Paul Konerko, Derek Jeter, and KC closer Mike MacDougal for Carlos Delgado.

It's a 5x5 league, and here's my current lineup:

C Kendall, Jason
1B Delgado, Carlos
2B Boone, Bret
3B Valentin, Jose
SS Vizquel, Omar
OF Ordonez, Magglio
OF Walker, Larry
OF Suzuki, Ichiro
Util Martinez, Tino
Bench Blalock, Hank
Bench Bell, David
Bench Nady, Xavier
DL Beltran, Carlos

SP Clemens, Roger
SP Nomo, Hideo
RP Koch, Billy
RP Carter, Lance
P Kline, Steve
P Worrell, Tim
P Schmidt, Jason
Bench Redman, Mark
Bench Moyer, Jamie

Obviously, Kline & Worrell are outta here after their respective closers come back, which would leave me with Koch (who was shaky late last year), and Lance Carter, who is Tampa's closer... not figuring to get lots from him. MacDougal already has 5 saves....

Let me know what you guys think.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd pounce on that puppy in a heartbeat.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Me too
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

That's the way I was leaning, just worried that I'm relying too heavily on the White Sox, what with already having Valentin and Ordonez in the lineup, and Koch in the bullpen. I hate relying too much on one team.

Plus, last year I traded Larry Walker (who was my 4th OF) for Esteban Yan (who proceeded to implode as TB's closer about a week later). Not wise. So, I don't really trust myself.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

How's Valentin been so far? Bell might do better, or perhaps float Valentin for trade bait and grab someone else for the hot corner. Maybe even toss in one of your RPs in a trade for a better 3B.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

To be honest I am not certain I would do that deal. I think you are risking a lot if Jeter doesn't come back strong. While Konerko is solid he is a considerable downgrade from Delgado. Especially when you don't have a ton of power on the team anyway. And I just don't have any faith the Royals will finish anywhere near .500 when it is all said and done. Their 7-0 start is impressive, but they just don't have the talent to keep it up for any extended period of time.

So I guess it depend on whether or not you want to take the chance on Jeter. Scott Rolen had a similar injury last year in the playoffs (not quite as severe as Jeters) and although they kept saying he might be ready for Giants series it was 2 months before he could even lift his arm over his head. And he wasn't able to swing a bat until spring training. I think when Jeter comes back he is going to struggle quite awhile with that injury.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
JHandley
High School Varsity

I gotta side with Primelord. I grew up in Kansas City, I've done my best to stick with 'em (Trading Dye for Perez because they didn't think they'd be able to pay Rey Sanchez would test anyone's resolve) The Royals Starting pitching staff averages to about 25 years old, and that's only because the 5th starter, May, is 30. Combined the entire starting staff have 24 wins, career wins.

They've come out to a 7-0 start against Cleveland, a streaky Chicago and the still winless Tigers.

I would love to see this team go on and accomplish big things, but it's awful risky to jump on a closer after 7 games and hope a team like this can continue.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #8
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Do it man!!
Old 04-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'd be wary of this one. As already pointed out, Konerko is a downgrade from Delgado, Jeter is hurt and out for an extended period, and even when healthy he's not necessarily a big upgrade over Omar. The key is how much you trust MacDougal. He's got legitimate stuff, but will his performance hold up over the rest of the season? I'd suggest doing some research into his numbers in the minors. I think MacDougal is the key componant of this deal.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:42 PM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
I'd be wary of this one. As already pointed out, Konerko is a downgrade from Delgado, Jeter is hurt and out for an extended period, and even when healthy he's not necessarily a big upgrade over Omar. The key is how much you trust MacDougal. He's got legitimate stuff, but will his performance hold up over the rest of the season? I'd suggest doing some research into his numbers in the minors. I think MacDougal is the key componant of this deal.

And in addition I just don't think he will end up with that many save opportunities. If you are willing to give up Delgado I think you can probably find a deal that will land you a guy like Konerko and a better closer. Maybe the guy that is offering you the deal has a better closer they could swap in place of MacDougal.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #11
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Is Adam Dunn worth dropping Mike Remlinger for?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:35 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Not that anyone remembers or cares, I ended up making this trade, and Delgado is currently the major league HR leader by far with 28, while Konerko has been benched. MacDougal has 21 saves, though, keeping me afloat there, while Jeter has been marginal.

I am leading my league, though, thanks to the awesome pitching I've gotten from Clemens, Nomo, Moyer, Schmidt, and Sidney Ponson (who I cut Redman for). Someone also cut Roy Oswalt for being on the DL, and I picked him up and cut Kline. I cut Koch and picked up Brad Lidge for his massive K/IP ratio. I lead in all pitching categories except Saves (where I am in the middle of the pack thanks to MacDougal).

I've cut Walker, Tino, Bell, Valentin, and Nady, and have Jay Gibbons playing 1B right now, with Rocco Baldelli in the OF, Blalock at 3rd, Dave Roberts on the bench. Also, Carlos Beltran came back off the DL into my OF. I have the league's top SB's by FAR (81 to the next closest 56), and am hoarding Roberts just for that reason. I also lead in runs scored and batting average, but am last in HR's and RBI's. If Konerko would come back and hit a few, I might climb out of the basement, but I'm 4-5 points up right now, so I'm not real worried.