Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ninja Gaiden II

I know hukarez was picking this one up once his 360 came back from MS.

Anyone else have this game? I think I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.. a friend of mine said it's one of the best single player games he's ever played.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

I really need to at least rent this one sometime soon. The first was one of my favorite Xbox games, and I'm not usually into this type of game.

This one really seemed to not get a lot of hype, and people didn't talk about it much.

I've got next week off, I think you just reminded me of something I need to do during that time.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Racer
College Benchwarmer

There's a demo available online.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I loved the first one even though it was very hard. I have too many games on my play list right now, but once I beat one or two of them I'll definitely be picking this up. I've heard the big negative is that the camera is frustrating at times, but otherwise it is an excellent game according to my friend.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I know hukarez was picking this one up once his 360 came back from MS.

Anyone else have this game? I think I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.. a friend of mine said it's one of the best single player games he's ever played.

I've been playing this since my 360 came back, and I've been alternating between my DS (Tactics A2 / Super Dodgeball) and 360 on occasion. So far, so good - I've been enjoying this one quite a bit. I haven't touched the first one in a long while, and I've been experiencing some difficulty with just the regular enemies on what I think is the "easy" mode... (I picked the first option out of the two.. I probably should read the manual first before I delve into these games, but that usually happens during bathroom olympics)

The controls seems intuitive enough for me. The D-pad has like 3 tiers from where you select your main weapon, ninpo, and items.

In all honesty, the only real thing I can possibly think of that is a bit of a detriment is the default camera angle... it's really right behind Ryu - I wish it would angle downwards just a tad bit so I can see ahead of him more clearly.

EDIT: FYI - the finishing moves on opponents when they're hurt is pretty nifty! Also, when you've severed off one of their arms, I still can't get enough of them fighting one handed! I chopped the leg off one of the enemies, and they'll still crawl at you, and lunge with their weapon trying to return the favor. Relentless!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 06-29-2008 at 11:13 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Forgot about the demo.. which is downloading now.

I did read some reviews and they did mention the camera angle.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Forgot about the demo.. which is downloading now.

I did read some reviews and they did mention the camera angle.

Just got myself the Lunar Staff - the blood's covered it up pretty nicely, and some of these attacks are unbelievable! I'm wondering how many more different melee weapons you can switch out from.

As you progress through the game, you pick up these little techniques that enable you to do different moves, which is pretty slick. As I'm playing it right now, the fun factor's kicked up a notch and I haven't even fought a boss yet. I think... unless I go this way...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
hukarez
College Starter

I may have spoken too soon about the difficulty level... I got smacked around pretty good last night by whom I'm presuming is Chapter 2's boss (some guy with an eye patch). He comes right out at you with this vicious flurry of attacks, none of which I think are possible to block considering the amount of damage he dishes out...

I spent the first two attempts battling him trying to dash away and generally get some space, but I just didn't fare any better. I'm pretty positive if I give it another go ahead later tonight, I might make some serious progress.

Odd thing is - my 360 did lock up on me once that night. The controller kept vibrating, and I had to take the battery out and pop it back in when I restarted my 360. Just a one time thing, no RRoD again or anything of that nature.

You do pick up a lot more new gear in Chapter 2 which is nice - the bow which essentially acts as an optional substitute to your shurikens, as well as the falcon's claws for Wolverine-like berserker barrages.

In a lot of the group battles that I've been dealing with, I find myself having to take a much more tactical approach - as opposed to just an outright mashing of the buttons to win over fights. If I'm engaged by one enemy, and I'm blocking his flurry - I'd have to disengage and roll out of the way if another one attacks as well. It's kind of a quirky timing thing I have to get used to, because more often than not I'm getting seriously worked to low health battling these multiple opponents and came close to dying on more than one occasion.

Of course - it could just be that I really, really suck at these games..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I stayed up until 2am last night with the demo... DEFINITELY picking this one up on my way home tonight.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I stayed up until 2am last night with the demo... DEFINITELY picking this one up on my way home tonight.

Well, if you get to the boss of Chapter 2 by the time I get home - let me know how you beat him, because it was driving me nuts last night!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok I'm stuck.

Chapter 2, 2nd time with Genshen? The same boss from the first level.. it's him and a bunch of his buddies. I've died about 30 times now and can't get past that part for the life of me.

Any help?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Ok I'm stuck.

Chapter 2, 2nd time with Genshen? The same boss from the first level.. it's him and a bunch of his buddies. I've died about 30 times now and can't get past that part for the life of me.

Any help?

Oh, that spider-looking guy?

Take out his buddies - and when Genshen comes at you - evade, don't block because his attack will break your block, and subsequent combos dish out the damage. Do a lot of the dashes away (off to the side if possible) when he jumps towards you, then open up with the strong attack combos.

Wait until you get to Chapter 2's boss... that's just insanity right there.

I'll tell you one thing though: if you manage to get some breathing room and behind him, power up your ultimate attack. Takes off a sizable chunk of his health. This game's getting insanely hard, I made the mistake of forgetting to save during Chapter 4, and incidentally triggered the boss sequence with little health and no ninpo!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Oh, that spider-looking guy?

Take out his buddies - and when Genshen comes at you - evade, don't block because his attack will break your block, and subsequent combos dish out the damage. Do a lot of the dashes away (off to the side if possible) when he jumps towards you, then open up with the strong attack combos.

Wait until you get to Chapter 2's boss... that's just insanity right there.

I'll tell you one thing though: if you manage to get some breathing room and behind him, power up your ultimate attack. Takes off a sizable chunk of his health. This game's getting insanely hard, I made the mistake of forgetting to save during Chapter 4, and incidentally triggered the boss sequence with little health and no ninpo!

Yes.. that spider piece of shat!

10 more times today and I still can't beat him.. it's hard beating his buddies with him coming at you as well...

I've read the 2nd boss is very tough as well. I'm at a save where I can't go back and get some health or anything.. would be nice to be a level 2 with one of my weapons.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally passed the 2nd chapter mini-boss.. now it's me and the boss you were talking about. This time I have a bunch of items to restore my health.. but he usually takes me out pretty quickly without me doing much damage.

This game is insanely tough...
Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Finally passed the 2nd chapter mini-boss.. now it's me and the boss you were talking about. This time I have a bunch of items to restore my health.. but he usually takes me out pretty quickly without me doing much damage.

This game is insanely tough...

Wait until you get to Chapter 5.

I think somewhere in between Chapter 3 and 4, with this huge mud guy, I made the mistake of bypassing the save point to take out any wandering baddies. I usually do that so that when I do save, I'll use that free one time heal after having taken care of anything in the immediate vicinity.

I should've known better to stop going to the end of the bridge hoping for some chest, before triggering the boss battle with no healing items, and half my health missing.

I managed to get past him though, but that first Fiend that you fight really pissed me off with his grabs and throws. Right now, I'm still stuck on Chapter 5. Fighting on water is next to impossible!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good for you!

I'm close to beating that Chapter 2 boss.. but damn is he one badass.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Good for you!

I'm close to beating that Chapter 2 boss.. but damn is he one badass.

26 failed attempts is enough for me to try and get past this level. I can't figure out how to get onto that bridge that lowered above me, without falling into the water and getting picked apart by those scorpion looking things.

I need a break... and a guidebook or something!
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 07-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just picked it up yesterday. Yay for 25% off used coupon from GameStop.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Time for more carnage tonight!