Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Hurst2112
College Starter

OT: Old hockey text sim

I remember playing a hockey sim from a guy who made both an nhl sim and a soccer sim. Both looked the same.

I actually purchased the hockey game. It was back around 2000. The interface (from what I remember) had a side by side layout. Players were rated on a 5 star system. The game KINDA reminded me of that soccer sim where you are the player.

Any ideas? I am just asking because I was curious as to whether or not this guy actually went on to better things.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

are you talking about MLSM by oh geez...DanRyazansky ?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I remember a hockey text sim from around that era too, but it didn't have a 5 star system. Each non-goalie player had 3 ratings: offense, defense, and something else. They were rated by points and had bar-graphs indicating the value. It had all real players (witch pictures), a draft, you could create your own players, they had all the awards, free agency, etc...

I think it was called World Hockey Manager or something like that. I downloaded it. A fun, if simple, game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Hurst2112
College Starter

WO-HO-MAN. THAT was it. the soccer game had a nickname of Wo-So-Man.

The game did have the bars for attributes levels.

I remember that the Devils were his team and the game favored them. I bought the game and then purchased the update the next year. Pretty decent game. I didn't really dive into it. That was a little before Riz's EHM freeware game came out. After I found that, I was hooked.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes! World Hockey Manager.

Here is a screen shot from it:

http://home.att.net/~dryazan/whm/screens/whm1.jpg
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Hurst2112
College Starter

damn!

Good work my friend.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dan might still be running this site.

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/index.jsp
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yessss. finally one of these questions i prove helpful with.

i must credit those games honestly, with turning me into someone who could appreciate a "text-sim." And I say that knowing that they were far from text sims. But they were not "joystick jockey" games either. thinking man's sports games.

those games laid the groundwork for my embracing Ultimate Soccer Manager 98, which led to CM, which led to everything else.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's the home page!

http://home.att.net/~dryazan/whm/
Old 01-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
are you talking about MLSM by oh geez...DanRyazansky ?

so, is this the same guy? What is the skinny on him? What prompted the 'oh geez'?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
so, is this the same guy? What is the skinny on him? What prompted the 'oh geez'?
trying to remember how to spell his name (before i googled it).

yeah it's the same guy. He had WO-HO-MAN and WO-SO-MAN and then released MLSM a couple years later. it was a nostalgic "oh geez" too. some good times those games.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Here's the home page!

http://home.att.net/~dryazan/whm/

WOW!

talk about a flashback!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
yeah it's the same guy. He had WO-HO-MAN and WO-SO-MAN and had released MLSM a couple years earlier. it was a nostalgic "oh geez" too. some good times those games.
Fixed it for ya.

Last edited by dacman : 01-13-2006 at 06:40 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thanks dac. my memory was failing me as to the order of things.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #15
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I used to play those games. Dan was a guy I exchanged a fair amount of emails with until he "got a real job" and didn't have time for anybody that bought the games.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
until he "got a real job" and didn't have time for anybody that bought the games.

i remember him posting something like that about 6 months before the last patch came out.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
Easy Mac

I've had nothing but goodness from Dan. He's even supplied me with old Wohoman files that I lost in a computer move (and have lost again, I need to contact him again). I played (and still do) play the hell out of Wosoman and MLSM. Probably my two favorite games, and along with the old CM's got me into sports sims. Shit, nevermind, I do have Wohoman. No way to share it though, haven't figured out the mechanism for that, not that I would give it to anyone anyway. But I can't move it to a new computer, don't know where my floppy is (same with WOSOMAN).

Also, for the soccer game, it was a 200 point rating (maybe 100 for hockey) for offense and defense (and aggressiveness for hockey). I never really got into it. I also remember him shutting down because he got tired of dealing with the hastles of the people who purchased the games. I know that's the reason he shut down his messageboards.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

can you still purchase it (WoHoman)?
only $15 bucks....i was tempted to try it to see if i got it
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
Easy Mac

I don't think you can buy it anymore. I may be wrong though.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
TLK
Pro Starter

I believe last time this came up.... somebody said they had contact with Dan. Or, I could be drunk....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #21
TLK
Pro Starter

I'm not drunk.... not yet
Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #22
bryce
High School Varsity

He may still sell it to you... I contacted him a few months ago and he emailed me WoSoMan. I paypaled him $15 for his efforts on that game and MLSM, which I still also play the hell out of. I did some frantic googling and finally tracked him down through metrofans or some such. I'm sure I have his email still somewhere in my inbox if anyone's interested. He may be flattered to know people STILL play his games. I even tried to convince him to release a new MLS manager, but the real world seems to be keeping him occupied at the moment.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #23
KJDelaney
High School JV

That game brought back the memories.

The only drawback was that the Devils where UNBEATABLE.

I wonder who Dan's favorite team was????????
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:14 AM   #24
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney
That game brought back the memories.

The only drawback was that the Devils where UNBEATABLE.

I wonder who Dan's favorite team was????????

All part of the fun.... all part of the fun. I have the strongest urge to play the NHL game.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #25
SackAttack
Head Coach

I still talk to him on AIM every now and again.

A friend of mine used to help him out with the scouting for rookies and such. Good times.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #26
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Also, for the soccer game, it was a 200 point rating (maybe 100 for hockey) for offense and defense (and aggressiveness for hockey). I never really got into it. I also remember him shutting down because he got tired of dealing with the hastles of the people who purchased the games. I know that's the reason he shut down his messageboards.

Oh yeah. The bitchers were a real thorn in his side. He was always good. I didn't mean to sound bitter about him turning his back on it, because I'm not. I played it like crazy. I was in school back then and I was actually skipping classes to play more seasons on MLSM. I played MLSM more than any other freeware game I ever had.

Did any of you buy the ESL (I think it was called that) add-on for MLSM?

EDIT...Also, the easter eggs were kinda fun to play with. The South Park characters coming into the league and so on.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-14-2006 at 05:12 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
can you still purchase it (WoHoman)?
only $15 bucks....i was tempted to try it to see if i got it

I still have the WoHoMan disc somewhere around here. I bet we could work out a deal if you wanted...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #28
dryazan
n00b

Hi everyone... SackAttack linked me to this thread. Nice to know I'm (kindly) remembered.

I stopped updating the games because... Well, I got out of college, got a real job, and just didn't have time for it. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but I tend to be a perfectionist with these things, and just didn't have time (or desire) anymore for scanning daily transfer listings and check for updated jersey numbers and keep up on everything.

So anyway, if anyone wants to get WHM or WSM, yes, they are (in theory) still for sale, it's basically a name-your-price thing, so just email me (dryazan at att net), give me a fair offer, and I'll email you the games. Or if anyone has any questions or whatever, email me at that address too, I'm not sure I'll remember to check this thread too often.

Oh, and guess what team won the Cup the year WHM came out. And made the finals a year after that. And won another Cup 2 years later.

Yes, and I still run MetroFanatic.com. Now I get to talk to Alexi Lalas in person, not to trade him away in my games.

Last edited by dryazan : 01-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.
dryazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #29
Hurst2112
College Starter

Cool!

Thanks for posting man!