Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Worst radio bits

I just cannot stand when a radio show puts 'hot chicks' on the air when they have no purpose other than being hot. What do I care if you have a playboy centerfold or cheerleaders in your studio? Maybe if they have something interesting to say, but more often then not the entire segments consist of the hosts drooling.

Just venting over a pet peeve that made me turn off my radio this morning.

Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
KJDelaney
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
I just cannot stand when a radio show puts 'hot chicks' on the air when they have no purpose other than being hot. What do I care if you have a playboy centerfold or cheerleaders in your studio? Maybe if they have something interesting to say, but more often then not the entire segments consist of the hosts drooling.

Just venting over a pet peeve that made me turn off my radio this morning.

Agreed.

However, it has worked for that TIRED hack Stern for a million years. People still listen to him, and I have no idea why.
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Anthony
Banned

this is why i stopped listening to Stern a LOOOONG time ago.

the thing is for the most part these hosts are not good looking and were nerds in high school (except for David Lee Roth). to be able to be in a position of power where hot girls are giving them attention is their dream. they don't care if we can't see these girls, it's purely an egotistical thing.

these girls are all boring and all say the same crap. none of its interesting and outside of having hot bodies they have no redeeming qualities worthy of my attention.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-07-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

you sure seem to know a lot about nerds...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
molson
General Manager

The Stern Staff has talked about this on the air. They've said that the try to limit the random "hot chicks" because some people complain about those segments and want more "content" - comedy bits, etc. But then, they point out that they get a huge positive reaction from listeners whenever they break the hot chicks out. So it's a balancing act - the hot chick segments themselves always have SOME kind of manufactured content (some kind of game for money, etc).

And once again, when someone complains about Stern being just about hot chicks on radio with no substance - I know they don't ever listen to the show.

Last edited by molson : 07-07-2006 at 10:16 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
you sure seem to know a lot about nerds...

they're everywhere.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The guys on the Ottawa sports station are even worse. They go nuts when any female calls the show and talks vaguely sexy at them. So not only can they not see her, but the listeners can't even see them not seeing her.

But I guess it gives them something to do when they're not playing clips from Will Ferrell movies and taking calls from people testing out scripted material for that day's Jim Rome show.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The guys on the Ottawa sports station are even worse. They go nuts when any female calls the show and talks vaguely sexy at them. So not only can they not see her, but the listeners can't even see them not seeing her.

But I guess it gives them something to do when they're not playing clips from Will Ferrell movies and taking calls from people testing out scripted material for that day's Jim Rome show.
My pet peeve of sports radio is always when they don't talk about sports. If I wanted to hear clips from Will Ferrell movies, a listing of your favorite Beatle songs or Steve Czaban's Tournament of Babes, I'd turn on Z-105 and the Morning Zoo crew with Booger and the Gang. I've turned into a sports station -- talk sports! I don't need to hear a 15-minute riff on why the producer of the show can't get laid. I'm listening to sports radio, not American Pie IV. And while we're at it, whatever happened to the days when the producer of the show was non-existent? I actually blame Rush Limbaugh, because I think he was the first one to talk to his producer on air. Then that trend moved to sports radio, until some genius decided to give the producer a mic. Now we get these guys with no radio voice whatsoever talking about their plans for weekend.

And don't me started on the Jim Rome show. I don't necessarily dislike Jim Rome, but I dislike his callers with the passion of a thousand suns. The number of people who call morning sports radio shows with their "take" and then call in the same "take" to Rome later in the day boggles the mind.

When did I turn into Bucc all of a sudden?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The Jim Rome show "takes" would get my vote for worst radio bits - of all time.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
My pet peeve of sports radio is always when they don't talk about sports. If I wanted to hear clips from Will Ferrell movies, a listing of your favorite Beatle songs or Steve Czaban's Tournament of Babes, I'd turn on Z-105 and the Morning Zoo crew with Booger and the Gang. I've turned into a sports station -- talk sports! I don't need to hear a 15-minute riff on why the producer of the show can't get laid. I'm listening to sports radio, not American Pie IV. And while we're at it, whatever happened to the days when the producer of the show was non-existent? I actually blame Rush Limbaugh, because I think he was the first one to talk to his producer on air. Then that trend moved to sports radio, until some genius decided to give the producer a mic. Now we get these guys with no radio voice whatsoever talking about their plans for weekend.

As much as I love Stern, I think he's actually to blame for this phenomenon, even in sports radio.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I see HA's last post in here at 11:18 eastern, it's now noon and he's showing as in the penalty box, what the heck happened?? Was it a lifetime achievement kind of thing?

FM
Old 07-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I see HA's last post in here at 11:18 eastern, it's now noon and he's showing as in the penalty box, what the heck happened?? Was it a lifetime achievement kind of thing?

FM

Thread deleted. Be glad you missed it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

ahh, okay. I'm glad if you say so...

FM
Old 07-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

FM

Oh it was an achievement.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Probably hard to believe, but it was a thread specifically designed to garner attention.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

But Damnit all...PEOPLE LOST POSTS!!!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
The Jim Rome show "takes" would get my vote for worst radio bits - of all time.

I would agree with this. I like Rome and the stuff that he talks about, but I always change the station when he takes an outside call.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #18
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Probably hard to believe, but it was a thread specifically designed to garner attention.

Was it an older thread? I didn't see any trouble coming and I've been here for a while today.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
As much as I love Stern, I think he's actually to blame for this phenomenon, even in sports radio.
Good point. I'll still blame Limbaugh for people pounding on the counter and crumpling up paper on-air.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Good point. I'll still blame Limbaugh for people pounding on the counter and crumpling up paper on-air.

While I can't fully get behind your producer rant (I actually enjoy it) I'm SO with you on these two.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I would agree with this. I like Rome and the stuff that he talks about, but I always change the station when he takes an outside call.

I can't stand Rome. Always seems like he is reading off a cue card... Frank Caliendo does a pretty good imitation of Rome though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #22
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Same here.

knives out
Old 07-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Was it an older thread? I didn't see any trouble coming and I've been here for a while today.

Much like me in bed it was a quick one. Get in, get out, get boxed.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #24
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I see, a "dola part two" kind of thread then...

FM
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #25
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Man, I was going to start a thread about Rome's show and I see this. I don't see how the man is still on the air. All he does is rip people, unless it is an interview, and then he can't praise these guys enough.

He's the Hannity of sports radio.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Actually, on Stern's new show on Sirius, they introduced a new twist. They have hot chicks come on and ride the Sybian (sort of like a saddle that vibrates in all the right places). They crank it up to max power and you actually get to hear the woman have real orgasms. Very hot!

Granted its not NPR, but it's a lot more fun than listening to these women talk.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Actually, on Stern's new show on Sirius, they introduced a new twist. They have hot chicks come on and ride the Sybian (sort of like a saddle that vibrates in all the right places). They crank it up to max power and you actually get to hear the woman have real orgasms. Very hot!

Granted its not NPR, but it's a lot more fun than listening to these women talk.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My personal Jim Rome rule-of-thumb:

- Rome giving his take about sports: listen
- Rome giving his take about something not related to sports: listen, somewhat less enthusiastically
- Rome reading e-mails: listen, but be prepared to hear the same joke 30 times
- Rome doing an interview where he kisses somebody's ass: turn to another station
- Rome taking callers: turn radio off
- Rome on vacation, Skip Bayless filling in: smash radio with hammer, burn whatever's left
Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #29
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

- Rome giving his take about something not related to sports: listen, somewhat less enthusiastically
- Rome doing an interview where he kisses somebody's ass: turn to another station
- Rome on vacation, Skip Bayless filling in: smash radio with hammer, burn whatever's left

That seems about perfect. Any idea why Skip does so much of the filling in? Everybody seems to hate him...though people seem to keep listening so they can bash him. Maybe that is good enough.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #30
KJDelaney
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ

Stern's show sucks. It now sucks for $12.95 a month. His reign ended back around ten years ago.

Question Stern fans....

Is Happy Howie still in the Hamptons for a few weeks? Also, has he mentioned that he is taking August off?
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

yep, although some of his interviews are actually good

knives out
Old 07-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #32
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ

I hate the Sybian bits.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #33
Desmond
Banned

My favorite is when he's the only one talking and he still shushes people.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #34
molson
General Manager

Quote:
yep, although some of his interviews are actually good

His interviews can be decent, but then he spends about 45 minutes reading emails describing how great the interview was. Most of them describe it as "epic".