Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old Today, 12:08 AM   #251
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The problem with the Bears is they will get a young QB and put him behind a complete dogshit offensive line and an abysmal coaching staff and act surprised when they bust. They will never learn their lesson and will never take offensive line play seriously.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #252
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Hester with these new kickoff rules would have been so much fun to watch.
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #253
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

mims was a terrible pick for the bengals. Just a huge sack of shit with bad knees
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #254
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Who the fuck is Sam Darnold?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #255
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
mims was a terrible pick for the bengals. Just a huge sack of shit with bad knees

No.

And his injury is to his pectoral.
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #256
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Let me just clear up one little thing.

There's rules about concussions in place, agreed to by both the league and the players. The oft-mentioned "protocol".

I'm not saying Tua gets to override the rules. I'm saying that if he passes whatever series of tests (etc, et al) those rules call for then he deserves the right to be treated like everybody else.

If they want a different set of rules for some sub-group of players, okey dokey, write those up and everybody sign off.

But in the absence of that, have the decency to treat him like an adult.

While I agree with this in general, it does seem a bit, well, "odd", isn't the word, maybe "weird" that we're then going to ask a young man who has suffered a series of traumatic brain injuries to make a very difficult and complex decision about his future.

Yes, Tua deserves agency, but at what point should someone potentially save Tua from himself? That's an open question - I'm not sure of the answer.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #257
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The problem with the Bears is they will get a young QB and put him behind a complete dogshit offensive line and an abysmal coaching staff and act surprised when they bust. They will never learn their lesson and will never take offensive line play seriously.
They can never fix the obvious problems because..well..because they're the Bears. Current issues in order are: o-line, Poles, Waldron, Eberflus, d-line.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #258
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“Dolphins sign former pro bowl QB”

I’ll give you all 50 guesses to figure out the answer
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #259
Kodos
Resident Alien

Boomer Esiason!

Last edited by Kodos : Today at 11:08 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:10 AM   #260
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, nobody will get this one.
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #261
Swaggs
Coordinator

I didn't realize that he no longer played for his previous team (tying to avoid the spoiler) and am surprised he hadn't already been on a team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #262
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
“Dolphins sign former pro bowl QB”

I’ll give you all 50 guesses to figure out the answer

did they trade for Russell Wilson?

Dolphins Country. Let's Swim
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #263
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I might use "Former Pro Bowl" in this context as an example of technical truth vs. implications.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #264
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: The chaos monkey in me really did want Brady, but I guess that's off the table.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bryce Young benched.
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #266
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For Andy dalton. Jeez.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #267
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #268
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
They can never fix the obvious problems because..well..because they're the Bears. Current issues in order are: o-line, Poles, Waldron, Eberflus, d-line.

Put McCaskeys at the top of the list.
Old Today, 01:39 PM   #269
GrantDawg

I hate when the Falcons play in prime time. Not just because they aren't very good at it, but I hate staying up late. The good news I guess is they may be out of it by half-time and I can turn it off.
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #270
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bryce Young benched.

The Young/Stroud choice reminds me a lot of Manning/Leaf. Only Carolina made the wrong choice.

Young seems like a far better team guy than Leaf - a big part of Leaf's failure was simply being locker room cancer. But both have that great talent and simply looked clueless when it came to football decisions on the field.

To put Young's season, so far, into perspective, he has dropped back 62 times and the Panthers have gained 204 yards on those plays (3.3 YPAS). The NFL average is 5.9. Last year, Young averaged 4.1 YPAS, which would get just about any quarterback benched long before they got a full season in.

Dalton has had a fine career, just not an elite one. He'll be 37 next month, and had been showing signs of age. No question that Carolina can't build behind him. But throwing Young out there right now isn't going to work. He has to learn how to play the position at the NFL level.

The Sam Darnold appreciation threads in Minnesota have me wondering if it's possible that there are teams that cannot put their quarterbacks in a position to succeed. Certainly, you look at the Jets and wonder. Maybe Young really is good and Carolina's coaching staff, despite all that turnover recently, is continuously bad. Maybe Justin Fields is having a renaissance. Until this season, the numbers were not suggesting this as a possibility, but quarterback play has changed considerably in recent years.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #271
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The Sam Darnold appreciation threads in Minnesota have me wondering if it's possible that there are teams that cannot put their quarterbacks in a position to succeed. Certainly, you look at the Jets and wonder. Maybe Young really is good and Carolina's coaching staff, despite all that turnover recently, is continuously bad. Maybe Justin Fields is having a renaissance. Until this season, the numbers were not suggesting this as a possibility, but quarterback play has changed considerably in recent years.

I think this is an interesting thread to pull on. I don't follow the NBA closely, but do enjoy listening to some of the ex-player podcasts and one of the more interesting themes that I have picked up on is that certain teams/franchises are really, really good at developing talent and improving players, while some seem to just expect players to do work on their own or be finished products when they come in (these teams work more on things like game planning, defense, and such, I guess).

I would assume NFL coaches are similar and I think it shows.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #272
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was trying to remember if there were any legitimate talent evaluators before Young was drafted that said publically he would be a bust? If so then the evaluation of QB's has to change. Cardinals drafted Josh Rosen in the first round and last i looked he was out of the league. Or QB/Offensive Coordinators have to do a better job of coaching and developing them, putting the right people around him to help him succeed.

As a semi-Carolina fan since its the local TV market, i feel bad for their supporters. the owner has been unable to find the right people for the team
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #273
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I was trying to remember if there were any legitimate talent evaluators before Young was drafted that said publically he would be a bust? If so then the evaluation of QB's has to change. Cardinals drafted Josh Rosen in the first round and last i looked he was out of the league. Or QB/Offensive Coordinators have to do a better job of coaching and developing them, putting the right people around him to help him succeed.

As a semi-Carolina fan since its the local TV market, i feel bad for their supporters. the owner has been unable to find the right people for the team
Me, but really just an opinion having watch him play a good bit. He seemed like a less talented Baker Mayfield to me. A smaller not as quick version. I saw him get knocked off his game pretty easily by big linemen that didn't over pursue. I really had a hard time seeing how was going to translate into the NFL.
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #274
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t watch much of any college football. So when I saw the first training camp photos of Young looking tiny behind the line last year, I wondered how was it going to work. So i immediately figured that he was an elite scrambler in college. And then i saw he had something like 70 yards rushing in college. I guess it was 160some. But nobody was making any kind of a stink about him busting. If eligible he would have likely went 1.1 in 2022 as well. What am I missing.
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #275
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think coaching and supporting cast play huge roles in QB development. The Packers were able to make Malik Willis look good and he was legitimately one of the worst QBs I've seen play the past couple years.
Old Today, 02:42 PM   #276
Danny
Head Coach

I didn't think Young would be a bust but I didnt see him as a premiere qb prospect worthy of trading up to get at #1.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:42 PM   #277
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes.

The most direct "what if?" situation is if you switched Young and Stroud. Maybe Stroud looks more like Fields in Chicago if he's in Carolina? Maybe Young looks better with weapons and a good team around him?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #278
Danny
Head Coach

Except his coach last year has shown to be at least solid with qbs, and Young has been historically bad. I dont think hed be excelling with any team.
Old Today, 02:50 PM   #279
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

For the stat-miners out there (and I do my share of this), I can tell you that there's nothing much to look for in college quarterback stats. At least nothing magical that differentiates between moderately successful college quarterbacks.

There's a readiness component in that you want someone who can adjust to the speed of play in the NFL. But even that's not quantifiable. There are so many exceptions to any rule you can come up with.

NFL quarterbacks are scouted. By and large, fairly well in that the higher a guy is drafted, the more likely he is to succeed. We've seen some exceptions, like Brock Purdy and Dak Prescott and (for most of his career) Russell Wilson. But a guy usually goes high in the first round if he's going to be a success.

However, only twice in the last 13 years (I cherry pick, because this was the case in three straight years before that) has the first quarterback selected been the most successful quarterback in the draft. One of those two is your Kyler Murray, by the way.

I can only tell you that if you want a winning team, you have to have a quarterback who can move the chains, primarily. And a solid second, a guy who doesn't exceed a certain level of turning the ball over. Carolina won't win with Bryce Young's level of play. Cleveland won't win unless Deshaun Watson returns to his pre-suspension form. Purdy reaching the Super Bowl was not a fluke. That kind of thing.

When the Cardinals played Rosen for a season, he was Young-level bad. He didn't get a second season. He failed to catch on as a backup. I don't think Young would have started this season if not for the trade and not for being #1 overall.

When you see first-round guys like Darnold, who failed (though not as spectacularly) as a starter getting good backup jobs rather than falling out of the league, that's not nothing. Trubisky, Mariota, Mac Jones, Wentz, Winston fall into that category.

The Dolphins snagging Tyler Huntley rather than giving Tannehill a call? He fell off a cliff statistically last year, but the word must be out that it's was an age thing and he's done.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #280
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think coaching and supporting cast play huge roles in QB development. The Packers were able to make Malik Willis look good and he was legitimately one of the worst QBs I've seen play the past couple years.

And conversely I'm pretty sure if you put Trevor Lawrence on a team coached by someone who knew what they were doing, he'd look a lot better.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 PM   #281
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
And conversely I'm pretty sure if you put Trevor Lawrence on a team coached by someone who knew what they were doing, he'd look a lot better.
And there is the flip of the eyeball test. Lawrence has always looked the part. He presents as a complete package tool-wise who just hasn't put it together.
Old Today, 05:36 PM   #282
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think CJ Stroud's situation is the exception, not the norm. He went to a team with a good, new coaching staff, solid WRs and a GM who added to the OL the offseason he came in. Plus, he was ready to play.

For most first round pick QBs, they go to a crap team with an owner who just watched a bad, sub .500 team struggle. The idea of that owner tolerating another bad season with Dalton, Minshew or Brisset is never going to happen. So they throw in the rookie into a shit offense with bad coaching and usually a bad OL.

There's no reason Caleb, Nix, Bryce, Daniels or Maye should be starting this year in their situations. But good luck convincing an owner of that. That's one reason why a team like GB (with no owner) has been able to be patient with young QBs. Love was nowhere near ready in 2020 and would be out of the league if they started him then. But grooming a young QB until he's ready and there's a stable infrastructure to develop him is usually not the choice for these teams picking top 5. I'm impressed with how New England has handled Maye (and he may have been the most ready QB of the lot).

Last edited by Arles : Today at 05:38 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:48 PM   #283
Danny
Head Coach

I generally agree. Maybe except for Bo Nix who started full time for 5 years and is 24 years old. Im not sure how much better hes going to get .
Old Today, 06:00 PM   #284
GrantDawg

Interesting, because I would have considered him and McCarthy the least ready. Nix, Penix and Daniels seem like the most prepared. Williams probably could have benefited from waiting to start as well, but his tools would make it hard for any team not to start him.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old Today, 07:25 PM   #285
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Who thought adding Bellichek as a regular guest on the Manningcast was a good idea?
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #286
GrantDawg

I hardly ever watch MNF, so since I have to, I am giving Manning cast a shot.

Old Today, 07:31 PM   #287
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think CJ Stroud's situation is the exception, not the norm. He went to a team with a good, new coaching staff, solid WRs and a GM who added to the OL the offseason he came in. Plus, he was ready to play.

For most first round pick QBs, they go to a crap team with an owner who just watched a bad, sub .500 team struggle. The idea of that owner tolerating another bad season with Dalton, Minshew or Brisset is never going to happen. So they throw in the rookie into a shit offense with bad coaching and usually a bad OL.

There's no reason Caleb, Nix, Bryce, Daniels or Maye should be starting this year in their situations. But good luck convincing an owner of that. That's one reason why a team like GB (with no owner) has been able to be patient with young QBs. Love was nowhere near ready in 2020 and would be out of the league if they started him then. But grooming a young QB until he's ready and there's a stable infrastructure to develop him is usually not the choice for these teams picking top 5. I'm impressed with how New England has handled Maye (and he may have been the most ready QB of the lot).

If you look at the top QBs in the NFL the vast majority started right away or close to it. The sitting a QB thing just isn't going to work for most. He's going to get reps during the preseason and then once the season starts his reps go down significantly and he's mostly watching both practice and games at that point.

The way QBs and the NFL are right now, if you take a QB and he's so far away from playing he doesn't see the field as a starter in year one you most likely took the wrong QB.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 PM   #288
GrantDawg

Big win not giving up points there. Feels more like the Eagles shot themselves in the foot after moving the ball so well, though.

Old Today, 07:43 PM   #289
GrantDawg

Kirk still looks like ass.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Today at 07:44 PM.
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #290
GrantDawg

Yes, let's break down 28-3 for the 100 millionth time. That never gets old.

Old Today, 08:16 PM   #291
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yes, let's break down 28-3 for the 100 millionth time. That never gets old.

Sure doesn't!
Old Today, 08:34 PM   #292
GrantDawg

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits.

Old Today, 08:56 PM   #293
GrantDawg

Two straight drives all the way down the field and just can't get into the endzone.

Old Today, 08:56 PM   #294
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've seen enough of Cousins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14 PM   #295
GrantDawg

That was a guts series. Finally, a big play gets them in.

Old Today, 09:14 PM   #296
Edward64
Head Coach

He was decent in this last scoring drive. OL isn’t giving him a lot of time
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19 PM   #297
Edward64
Head Coach

I’m missing the old kickoffs. I agree in changing it up to minimize injuries so np
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:20 PM   #298
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How can you not love Jason Kelce?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 PM   #299
GrantDawg

Falcons are probably going to lose this, but I still feel a little better about it than I did last week. Kirk started to look a little more comfortable in that series. Hopefully, he can build on it.