Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #801
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There's a lot of just assuming that if Biden drops out the replacement would do better that I don't think is justified. It's possible that would happen, but IMO it's more likely that the chaos which would result favors Trump. It's certainly something we have no frame of reference for, since it hasn't ever happened in presidential politics in America.

Agreed. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth trying. I think Biden is very much a long-shot now. Anyone else would be as well, but at least they might have something other than "I'm not Trump" to energize people about.

Quote:
I still say this goes back to 2020. Choosing Biden then largely was choosing Biden now. They are one and the same decision.

No it wasn't. I think there was a reasonable assumption then that he was not going to run again if he won. There was definitely a wink and a nod from his campaign at the time, and based on his age it only seemed logical that he wouldn't. He wasn't my choice then, but there was some good argument at the time that he was exactly what we needed for that election (established, stable, known, respected), but his decline mentally and physically, especially in the last year, makes him a liability now.

Quote:
The very fact that people are increasingly concerned about Biden's mental state points to the idea that he could just be wrong about this. We can't say on the one hand 'Biden can no longer handle the job mentally' and also say 'He obviously knows he's not the best choice and should step down'. Either he is being affected by mental decline, or he isn't.
No it doesn't. He can be in mental decline (which he obviously is) and not be a gibbering idiot incapable of reasonable thought. That he no longer has the mental acuity to continue in one of the most demanding jobs on earth doesn't mean he isn't capable of self-assessment. I think it is way more likely that it just hubris. You have to have a giant ego to believe you could handle that job in the first place.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Yesterday at 02:59 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #802
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pritzker is a bad candidate on the national stage, Whitmer needs a full cycle to build her name, and Shaprio is less known than the other 2. Newsome has his issues, but would likely be the best candidate without the last name Obama to put forward this late.

Shapiro and Whitmer easily won races against a Trump candidate in states Biden has to win. I think either one would carry Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan which is all the Dems need. They have 4 months to make their case and unlike Biden, they can make the rounds giving interviews and giving speeches.

They can't do worse than Biden. And the problem with Biden is he is destroying the Democratic base of voters which will be difficult to recover from in 2028 and beyond.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #803
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Shapiro and Whitmer easily won races against a Trump candidate in states Biden has to win. I think either one would carry Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan which is all the Dems need. They have 4 months to make their case and unlike Biden, they can make the rounds giving interviews and giving speeches.

They can't do worse than Biden. And the problem with Biden is he is destroying the Democratic base of voters which will be difficult to recover from in 2028 and beyond.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be. It's not showing up in polling.

Dem polling shows there's more support for Biden remaining the nominee. Only 29% of dems polled since the debate are for replacing him. Independents are split, but someone more to the left than Biden risks alienating them. Only 30% of black voters polled are for replacing him.

Access to this page has been denied
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #804
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be. It's not showing up in polling.

Dem polling shows there's more support for Biden remaining the nominee. Only 29% of dems polled since the debate are for replacing him. Independents are split, but someone more to the left than Biden risks alienating them. Only 30% of black voters polled are for replacing him.

If half of independents and a third of your own party think you should step down, you're a pretty shitty candidate.

And even if you are just viewing it from an electoral lens, do you really think it is good for the country to have a guy with huge cognitive issues in office for another 4 years? Seems pretty bad for the country.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #805
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are not huge cognitive issues. This is you being purposefully disingenuous yet again.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #806
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
x.com

This poll shows not much difference depending on the candidate.

Also, the two demographics there has been concern about Biden losing are minorities and pro-Palestinian youth voters. I fail to see how passing over Harris for three white Zionists (probably moreso than Biden) accomplishes anything in that area.

You simply can't pass over the black VP for a white guy and expect it not to matter. No Dem can win without heavy support from black women.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #807
RainMaker
General Manager

You can do whatever it takes to win. And no one gives a shit about Kamala.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #808
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are not huge cognitive issues. This is you being purposefully disingenuous yet again.

This may be true in fact, but I've had several people in casual conversation (hiardresser, neighbor, co-worker) all say Biden looked, sounded and acted like he was somewhat debilitated.

Not many people know what it takes to run the country, but everyone has an older relative who you have to watch out for and keep from harming themselves because they don't know any better. That's the vibe Biden gave off on Thursday, and it'll be damn near impossible to recover from it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #809
Danny
Head Coach

He may not have huge cognitive issues. Hes probably fine to sit on the couch, watch the game with and have some intelligent conversation, but he does not appear mentally fit to be president another four years.

Last edited by Danny : Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #810
RainMaker
General Manager

Kind of an ominous story. Maybe he will do what's best and drop out.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ess-rcna159591
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #811
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If it truly is a family decision and they tell him he should stay in the race I firmly believe they are more like the power hungry family the right paints them as than I would have believed.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #812
Saul Goode
n00b

Who fucking cares about a debate? This is the most ridiculous news cycle I've ever seen. I'm mentioned what Trump did during the debate that should immediately disqualify him from ever holding office again, don't forget the crimes!

I got a compromise, make Obama VP and we can have 4 more years of Barry, I'm down like a clown, charlie Brown. Just to let you know the ridiculous hit pieces are coming out, Joe Biden’s Childhood Neighbor: ‘It’s Time To Go’.
Saul Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #813
Saul Goode
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That happened while Biden was President. He had no way of stopping it and doesn't seem to really care to help those in red states anyway on the issue. Unless 3 conservative judges step down AND Biden was able to get new justices confirmed, it won't change in the next 4 years.

I'm sorry, but none of that is remotely true. You need to hold the trifecta, pres,house & senate. You need 50 senators willing to nuke the filibuster, you have 48ish right now. (murkowski is waffling on sides ATM, she could be 49) You pass legislation telling the extreme court to go fuck itself on abortion, regulation and really any crazy right wing mumbo jumbo. Don't forget bri...tipping judges!

Last edited by Saul Goode : Yesterday at 08:57 PM. Reason: Murkowski
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #814
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Congress can't pass legislation telling the Court to do that. That's not how it works.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #815
Saul Goode
n00b

Quote:
Congress can't pass legislation telling the Court to do that. That's not how it works.

Yes, that is how it works.
Overriding judicial decisions, while always an important tool in Congress’s legislative toolbox, has fallen by the wayside over the last two decades.

Congress repeatedly changed the size of the court for political ends and revoked the court’s ability to review a case

When Congress introduced more bills that would limit the court’s power, the court struck down fewer laws

Even where the court has ruled on constitutional grounds, there is often much room left to legislate the boundaries,

Overrides can be passed, These statutory overrides offer a road map for progressives left paralyzed by the court’s new composition

should not lose sight of Congress’s power to temper or reverse existing court decisions.

One key way that Congress can regulate federal courts is by establishing the scope of their
jurisdiction.

Last edited by Saul Goode : Yesterday at 09:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #816
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Who fucking cares about a debate? This is the most ridiculous news cycle I've ever seen. I'm mentioned what Trump did during the debate that should immediately disqualify him from ever holding office again, don't forget the crimes!

I got a compromise, make Obama VP and we can have 4 more years of Barry, I'm down like a clown, charlie Brown. Just to let you know the ridiculous hit pieces are coming out, Joe Biden’s Childhood Neighbor: ‘It’s Time To Go’.

If you don't think the debate reinforcing what peoples biggest concern about Biden has been for the last year you aren't paying attention.

He wasn't just bad, he was an absolute disaster.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #817
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If you change the size of the court, the other side changes it again when they are in power and you've effectively removed one of the three co-equal branches of government. The court simply rules however the current side in power makes them rule, and if they won't do it on their own, you add enough justices until they do.

There is a natural back-and-forth when SCOTUS thinks Congress has overstepped and Congress disagrees, but ultimately the court has the power to say when that has happened and again, without that, the court can no longer serve it's purpose.

Most of what has happened to the court is in fact Congress's fault, with the increasing politicization (it was always there, but not to the same degree) over the past 40 years of how appointments are handled. This is not a SCOTUS issue, it is a Congressional issue, which ultimately comes back to it being an electorate issue.

When the goal becomes to win the political game at absolutely any cost, you've already destroyed the value of any victory you might achieve.

Congress has zero power to 'reverse existing court decisions'.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : Yesterday at 09:13 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #818
Saul Goode
n00b

It always amazes me how little the average person knows about politics. I find it hilarious you think the supreme Court are a bunch of kings issuing decrees.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #819
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They can pass abortion protections which nullifies Dobbs. The Democrats just hasn't found it important.

And I think it's fine to expand the court. Even if both sides do it, it makes every Justice less powerful which is a good thing. Especially since you can just buy them.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #820
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think that, and they aren't. There is however, a reason why they have oversight over Congress and, aside from impeachments, not the other way around after they've made decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker
And I think it's fine to expand the court. Even if both sides do it, it makes every Justice less powerful which is a good thing. Especially since you can just buy them.

Might as well just absolish the court if you're going to do that. There's no point in going through the pro forma exercise of keeping it around if you're just going to pretend it doesn't exist in practice anyway.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : Yesterday at 09:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #821
Dutch
"Dutch"

Saw this on X and checked ChatGPT to verify.

Election Year First Debate Date
2024 June 27, 2024
2020 September 29, 2020
2016 September 26, 2016
2012 October 3, 2012
2008 September 26, 2008
2004 September 30, 2004
2000 October 3, 2000
1996 October 6, 1996

The Democrats knew what was up and needed a date ASAP to get the machine fired up as soon as possible. It’s the right call, Biden hasn’t been in charge and if the DNC wins again, at least they’ll have somebody in office that can be in the actual executive branch and it’s not run by a bunch of unelected extreme left minders.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #822
Danny
Head Coach

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you don't think the debate reinforcing what peoples biggest concern about Biden has been for the last year you aren't paying attention.

He wasn't just bad, he was an absolute disaster.

Id never vote Trumpso ill be voting for Biden regardless but as someone who is fairly liberal, id have strongly considered a moderate non MAGA republican over Biden this election given his current state. (Of course with no teump, its probably been some other maga nut id never vote for anyway)

Last edited by Danny : Yesterday at 09:26 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #823
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think that, and they aren't. There is however, a reason why they have oversight over Congress and, aside from impeachments, not the other way around after they've made decisions.

Might as well just absolish the court if you're going to do that. There's no point in going through the pro forma exercise of keeping it around if you're just going to pretend it doesn't exist in practice anyway.

It's the job of Congress to be oversight for the court too. The Judicial branch does not have complete and total power. Checks and balances work both ways.

There's no point in pretending the courts are anything but a way for wealthy people to buy their way around laws. You don't have to keep up this charade about them being some honorable branch of government that ieeps the otuer branches in check. Clarence will let you dump nuclear waste into the water supply if you take him to Tahiti for a weekend getaway.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #824
Saul Goode
n00b

Quote:

I guess if you say it, it makes it true?
oh for christ sake,
Five times Congress overrode the Supreme Court

They can pass legislation overriding a decision. I don't know what else you want.

Quote:
When the goal becomes to win the political game at absolutely any cost, you've already destroyed the value of any victory you might achieve.

Again, not true at all. You can now legally brib...tip judges, destroy regulations, really whatever the extreme king court wants to do. It's a zero-sum game. They have the control now and get to make up whatever asinine rules the con judges can be paid off for.

Last edited by Saul Goode : Yesterday at 09:52 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #825
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Id never vote Trumpso ill be voting for Biden regardless but as someone who is fairly liberal, id have strongly considered a moderate non MAGA republican over Biden this election given his current state. (Of course with no teump, its probably been some other maga nut id never vote for anyway)

any republican that would get through would NOT AT ALL be a moderate.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #826
RainMaker
General Manager

Another post debate poll. Wonder if some of these are coming out internally and that's why Biden is having a family discussion.

Old Today, 07:04 AM   #827
Dutch
"Dutch"

2024 June 27, 2024
2020 September 29, 2020
2016 September 26, 2016
2012 October 3, 2012
2008 September 26, 2008
2004 September 30, 2004
2000 October 3, 2000
1996 October 6, 1996

The Democrats knew what was up and needed a date ASAP to get the machine fired up as soon as possible. It’s the right call, Biden hasn’t been in charge and if the DNC wins again, at least they’ll have somebody in office that can be in the actual executive branch and it’s not run by a bunch of unelected extreme left minders.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #828
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

RFK Jr. is such a clown. After being an independent, flirting with the Libertarians, and showing interest in being Trump's VP, now he says he'd like to be the Dem nom if Biden steps down.
Old Today, 08:50 AM   #829
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Latest CBS poll on the candidates' mental/cognitive health to serve as President:

Biden 27/72
Trump 50/49

Perception is reality and in what was already a razor-close or losing position for Biden, this is fatal for his campaign.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : Today at 08:51 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #830
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
RFK Jr. is such a clown. After being an independent, flirting with the Libertarians, and showing interest in being Trump's VP, now he says he'd like to be the Dem nom if Biden steps down.

He probably wins if that is the case. He would get my vote.
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #831
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He probably wins if that is the case. He would get my vote.

I wouldn’t vote for RFK Jr if he was running unopposed.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #832
Saul Goode
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

2024 June 27, 2024
2020 September 29, 2020
2016 September 26, 2016
2012 October 3, 2012
2008 September 26, 2008
2004 September 30, 2004
2000 October 3, 2000
1996 October 6, 1996

Since you're going to post this 90 times.....
Name one elected federal judge.
Have you heard of Steve Bannon, Roger Stone or Stephen Miller?
If you're going to post idiotic conspiracy theories from craphole twitter, at least post some names or something? Why isn't Obama behind Biden's presidency? Is he not extreme or left minder enough?
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I wouldn’t vote for RFK Jr if he was running unopposed.

He is WAY better than Trump. It isn't even close. And yes, I realize that is saying something.

I have researched project 2025. I am a firm believer a Trump presidency would fundamentally change our nation in ways we will not recover from.

Last edited by Lathum : Today at 09:55 AM.
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #834
Saul Goode
n00b

Quote:
He is WAY better than Trump. It isn't even close. And yes, I realize that is saying something.

I have researched project 2025. I am a firm believer a Trump presidency would fundamentally change our nation in ways we will not recover from.

In an election of 2 and only 2 people, you would vote against Trump.
Let's say the other person running against Trump is old, you would still vote against Trump?
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
In an election of 2 and only 2 people, you would vote against Trump.
Let's say the other person running against Trump is old, you would still vote against Trump?

I would vote a corpse over Trump.

If you're asking if Biden has my vote he does and nothing will change that assuming he is the candidate.

That being said I think he loses if he is, but I thought that before the debate
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #836
Edward64
Head Coach

I've read some articles on RFK. He really does not seem out of the norm (certainly not as much as Trump) other than his anti-vax views, and even that he is arguably more rational than Trump.

reuters.com
Who is Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and why is he running for president? | AP News

For those that think he is worse than Trump as a whole, I am interested in understanding your POV. Because, if it was between RFK and Trump, I would vote RFK from what I've read.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote