View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by pjstp20
If you relate your example to LeBron's situation it changes the whole argument. Your example of going to another stock car team for more money happens often in sports through the free agent market. I have no problem with that, it's all within the sport. But to say your loyalties will lie 50/50 with an entity outside of your main proffesion is where the problem lies.

About the cheering for failure part, I have no problem with that. According to the law when your 18 years old your an adult and your held accountable for your actions. I'm not gonna just ignore this because he's 18. I'm not gonna cheer for him to fail though, I'm just gonna see him as a selfish jerk. He can improve this image as he matures but as of now thats where it stands.

I didn't say it wasn't your right to cheer for failure. You have every right to do so. I said, that in my opinion, doing so was sad.

As for your loyalty being outside of your main profession, where should that loyalty lie? Should his loyalty be to the NBA as a whole? (which certainly wouldn't be real happy were he to reup in Cleveland) The Cavs? (who would trade him in a second if they thought they could get a better deal and sell more tickets) The fans? (who many want him to fail before he ever makes a single pass in the NBA)

Who? James signed a 90 million dollar contract with Nike. With that deal comes a certain amount of commitment and loyalty. Why would you think otherwise? Wheather he says the words or not, those are facts.

James hasn't said he'll suck it up on the basketball court if Nike tells him to. He hasn't said he isn't going to practice or that he demands to take 50 shots a game. He said his loyalty, in part, lies with a company that gave him 90 million dollars. I guess I'm confused at to how that makes him an anti-Christ.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote