View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #28
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
I don't understand how you can hate LeBron and love Kobe.

We know nothing about LeBron other than the mythical basketball abilities attributed by the media, most of whom have never seen him play live. Kobe, on the other hand, has proven to be a selfish jerk who cares more about his personal achievements than team success. He is, by all accounts, the worst teammate in the NBA.

And to say LeBron is greedy because he signed the contract with Nike? Well, two counterarguments to that would be (1) any player in the NBA will sign a shoe endorsement deal with anyone at the top price offered. (2) as token of proof of point (1) mere days after LeBron's signing with Nike, Kobe signed with them, ending a long-standing relationship with another shoe company, simply because they offered more money. Good thing there are paragons of loyalty like Kobe to show LeBron the True Way, if he were to only open his eyes.

I kind of understant the resentment of all the attention LeBron has gotten, but I really think it is not his fault. He does not have access to the media machine which fueled this hype. Lets direct our ire where it is deserved.

By the way, this hype machine is more than likely to crush the kid. Unless he is better than Jordan, he is going to be seen as a failure/bust. Those of you rooting for him to fail will more than likely be right.

I never said I thought LeBron was greedy for signing a contract for Nike. I said he's an ass for what he said. Please don't confuse my words or you'll miss the point. I understand shoe contracts are a by product of being an elite athlete, but to say you'll give them as much loyalty as a job most people would give 110% loyalty to, comes off as saying I love money more than or at least as much as my dream job which gives me a ton of money to begin with. I gave this kid slack since he's never been an "average joe" and has no perspective, but he's hung himself three times already.

As for Kobe, he may be a selfish teamate but he loves to play the game, and he gives 100% percent to his job.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote