Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #320
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'd wager that there have been far more deaths from Blizzards than there have from Earthquakes in the United States in the last 100 years.

There have been 688 deaths from Earthquakes in the last 100 years on US soil. (this includes Alaska)

There were 3,000 people who died in the SF Earthquake in 1906, but most of that was from the fires afterward, not the quake itself.

Before I moved to California I researched the hell out of earthquakes. I understand I can still die from them, but the odds are incredibly low, even if the big one hits. Going back to the SF earthquake in 1989, there have been 101 deaths from quakes in California in the last 24 years. Considering there is well over 35 million people in the state, I think the odds are ok.

Then again, what are the odds of breaking a hip at the age of 41?

But blizzards/hurricanes are predictable. You can see them coming. Earthquakes and tornadoes aren't. And you can't breakout "so and so died from the fire and not from the earthquake" if the fire wouldn't have happened without the earthquake - that's splitting hairs.

Look - earthquakes don't scare me. I lived in California for a few years...I'd happily move back. But they're something that's more on your mind than a blizzard or a hurricane, that's undeniable.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote