View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Yeah. That's the thing I don't understand: why would you instruct a person to call "check complete"? I'd suspect it would be so much better to grasp to call as you see it: "onside, goal". Because then, when the referee made a mistake, he'd call the VAR back and say: wait, it was onside, not offside? etc.

I suspect the answer to that lies in how VAR is structered. This 2019 article with VAR Lead Neil Swarbick mentions how the process would work

The bolded part is my emphasis

Quote:
A Video Assistant Referee can only advise the on-field referee and not overrule them directly. They may only get involved if the referee has made a clear and obvious error.

Below, a ‘check’ refers to any decision assessed by VAR and ‘review’ means a decision the referee is consulted on which may be overturned when play is stopped

My guess is that they don't give a clear terminology ruling (like "goal" or "no goal") because they really don't have the authority to make that call, they only have the authority to "check" what was ruled on the pitch. They are "reviewing" or "checking", they aren't deciding anything themselves.

That was probably done to keep referee egos from being even more bruised by VAR.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2023 at 01:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote