View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #396
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what's the point of that? so you can sit and laugh at how stupid his ending would have been?

unless i missed a memo, he isn't paid to write for the Sopranos. none of us are. it shouldn't be to us to do Chase's job. any one of us could create an ending for the series - that's not hard. the point isn't to come up with a better ending, its for Chase to have come up with an ending - period. big difference.

if i want art i'll go to a musuem. if i'm going to watch a story on tv i want that story to have an ending.

It's not art....it's not TV, it's HBO.

Here's the problem with all of this, it doesn't matter what you think, or I think, or the majority of Soprano's viewers, it only mattered what Chase thought. The series got big enough that his word wouldn't be questioned.

If you didn't like it, then I would suggest like the Godfather films that you treasure Parts 1 and 2, and forget about Part 3. Even better, ignore Rocky V, treasure I-IV and Rocky Balboa.

Not all stories have endings, granted, I've felt stories that didn't have resolution to sometimes be frustrating, the guy who wrote "American Psycho" had a book call "Rules of Attraction" that starts in the middle of a sentence and ends in the middle of a sentence, which I guess was a concept of being briefly in the moment of the characters, and then flashing out. S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders" doesn't really end, it simply cycles through the story again.

Furthermore, just when a story ends, does it? I mean the killer gets captured or killed in a horror/mystery, is it really over? Aren't series with one character, simply stories that don't end, I mean you have something of a story within a story, but it chugs along until the series end and even then, there is existence outside of the story.

I don't think everything is ever truely linear.

You can call it an FU to the fans. You can say it was a great ending. But the fact that it is still being discussed, that it has been parodied, that it's being debated proves a sort of permenance to a television series that was about mobsters (amazingly more was that this sometimes brutal killers could be so well humanized, there were times where you had genuine sympathy for them, you understood them, and then you get smacked on the side of the head when they'd do something so brutal).

I still think it was great. You don't have to draw conclusions, you don't have to connect the dots, you just watched it.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote