View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 03:49 AM   #85
Izulde
Head Coach

Code:
2025 Recruiting Rankings # Team Conference Best Player Rtg 5* 4* 3* 2* 1* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 38. Long Beach State Big West PG Cesar Wisdom *** 0 0 4 0 1 92. Pacific Big West SG Eric Burlingame *** 0 0 2 0 1 101. UC Irvine Big West SG Demetrius Delozier *** 0 0 2 0 0 137. Cal State Fullerton Big West SG Darrin Waltz *** 0 0 2 0 1 140. Cal State Northridge Big West SG Jeremiah Hardie *** 0 0 2 1 0 229. UC Santa Barbara Big West PF Aarón Marin ** 0 0 0 1 4 264. UC Riverside Big West PF Wallace Helfrich ** 0 0 0 1 1 283. Cal Poly Big West PF Warren Lin ** 0 0 0 1 1 292. UC Davis Big West C James Gibson ** 0 0 0 2 0 335. Hawaii Big West C Jeremy Sebastian * 0 0 0 0 2

One of our better recruiting classes on paper, due largely to Hardie. Demetrius Delozier and Cesar Wisdom look like incredible players - especially Delozier.

I bump up to Level 2 as a result of our tournament appearance. Last time I split 10/10 between Offense and Defense, but our recruiting has gotten better, so that improves 2 points. Offense has really powered our two winning seasons, so that gets 14 points, with the other 4 going to Defense, which is still my calling card.

Recruiting: 52
Scouting: 10
Offense: 24
Defense: 54

Still haven't necessarily hit on finding gems - I've just managed to be able to coach guys up to their level - especially defensively.

Our prestige increases 5 points to 34, and the AD is so thrilled he found money both for a budget increase *and* a facilities improvement (at 10 rated, it's still the worst digs right now in the Big West, though Pacific is only just ahead at 11. #1? UC-Santa Barbara at 53 rated facilities).

Another year with no conference movement.

$21,780 goes into the recruiting budget, giving us just short of more than $4,000 a month to play with than we had last season. AD wants a repeat NCAA appearance, though that might be a tough sell with Grey and Harrington both graduated.

I get my first job offer! The Idaho State Bengals, at 57 prestige, are the top team in the Big Sky, a 3 prestige conference that frankly doesn't deserve it by the color ratings of the rosters. They were also a first round NCAA exit last year, winning 22 games. The Bengals also made the Big Dance in 2017, and made the NIT in 2016, 2022, and 2024. All but 2022 (second round NIT showing) were one and done. 33 rated facilities, 4th in the Big Sky. Truthfully, the conference should be a 2 prestige, so I might need to turn on Prestige Changes.

The kicker? There's the expectation to win a conference title right off the bat - something that I've never done. Ultimately, I turn down the offer. I just don't want that kind of pressure.

Similar offers come from Texas-San Antonio and Middle Tennessee State (The Blue Raiders expect a Sweet 16!)

And then there's a huge flood of offers. Throwing out the Win the conference or play in the Big Dance...

North Dakota State
I hear PilotMan laughing from here. The Bison want a .500 record in the Summit. Never made the postseason, 33 prestige team (though like us, they've had winning seasons the last two years), 15 rated facilities are 7th in the conference. 5 seniors and a couple raw, but promising underclassmen. I'd have a chance to remake this roster in my image in a hurry. The downside? The talent gap between them and the rest of the conference looks huge. I'm honestly not sure this is a better situation than the one I'm in other than the lower pressure.

Wyoming
I went there for a semester IRL, but I'm not playing against UNLV every year, as much as I enjoyed Laramie. Hard pass. Hi, Young Drachma! That said, they've got a couple good seniors and a really nice looking freshman class, so this would otherwise be tempting - especially since I'm only expected to *compete* for the Mountain West title. 58 prestige, though the Cowboys haven't been to a postseason since 2018 (2 Big Dance tickets - both first round exits - and an NIT 2nd round appearance in the first year of the universe).

Wagner
.500 conference record and this one looks a lot more doable. Made the NIT last year - only their second postseason appearance (also NIT). The Northeast isn't a great conference. 44 Prestige, though at 9 rated, their facilities are even worse than ours. Problem is, I took Wagner in my women's basketball dynasty, and I don't like going back to the same well.

Colorado
"Avoid last place in the conference." Sure. In the Pac-12. Where I'm even more outclassed as a coach than the Big West. As tempting as it is, I'm nowhere near ready for that jump.

UL-Lafayette
The Ragin' Cajuns only want a .500 record. 46 prestige. 7 scholarship freshmen with PG Daniel Merchant looking a potential house if he can get past the fact that he's stupid. Back-to-back one and done appearances in 2021-22 in the NCAA tournament and that's been the highlight. 12 Facilities, which is worst in the Sun Belt. This is a tempting offer. But I hate the logo, so no.

NDSU is a no, too, after further thought. Sorry, PM. I don't want the pressure of trying to build the Bison into something and disappointing you if I fail. I'll save the file, though, in case you want me to send it to you, or for me to start an Alternative Universe.

A couple more Win the conference from Montana State, Army and Cleveland State which are easy passes.

And so we're back for another year of Matadors basketball!

This is the greatest defensive team I've ever assembled. The Big West looks up this year, but I feel like we'll be in the thick of things. But only if we can avoid injury to our big men. Levi Ulrich getting suspended hurts our already really, really weak post depth.

Bryant makes it scary, but we pull off the 81-73 win on the Trop King's 19 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals. Major Ramirez and Robert Serra both put up 15 points and 9 rebounds, with Serra getting a steal to boot. Jeremiah Hardie has 10/5/1 steal in his collegiate debut and shoutout also to Ned Fraser for his 8 points and 4 steals off the bench.

And of course we start off with a Brian Klingensmith injury. He's DTD by our next game against Austin Peay but he has to play. 16-7-5-1-1 by PotG Eutropio Rey, 12 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists by Robert Serra, Jeremiah Hardie with 12 points, a block, and a steal, and 15 points, 9 rebounds from Major Ramirez later, we've put away the pesky Governors 71-62.

Very nice start to the season. Gauntlet is up next, and of course it's probably all downhill from here, but, you know. It is what it is. So far, I'm feeling good about my decision to stick around for the Trop King's senior season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote