View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 04:06 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Having sufficiently done some extensive world-building to get myself reimmersed back into this OOTP save, I'm trying now to figure out what I want to do next. One of the perils of dynasties is getting caught up in telling a story instead of playing how you want to play and since I'm a god-mode player who plays far out, I'm mostly just wanting to see what happens. But this league is too big and sims a bit too slow to sim 10 seasons fast.

One of the mistakes I made was generating too many offensive players and so there's a GLUT of talented hitters to the point I needed 5 major leagues to accommodate them while the pitching isn't NEARLY as good. So you have replacement level pitchers being aces for teams, I kind of like it from a realism perspective because you just can't find aces at all.

Part of me wanted to just sim ahead 15 years or so and wait for the talent to turn over, but I've started getting into some of the stars of this generation of the league, so I'm less inclined to skip past their primes.

Promotion/Relegation is fun, but it's hard in baseball because you get weird quirks where markets like Portland, Maine has a team that started in the 4th division getting itself promoted 3 levels in 3 years and has a shot at being in the majors and San Diego and San Francisco are about to be relegated.

I'm into that story and that chaos, but frankly, I don't want to try to conjure that world. So I'm probably going to retcon a way -- kinda like trying to imagine what real life would do with this -- where you still have pro/rel but teams find ways to bail themselves out of being relegated (which if you follow LigaMX already happens)

Ideal state, I might do something where I try to follow the careers of the players I care about, look at teams and perhaps the storylines that emerge year after year, since I don't play game-by-game as I don't know how to make that story interesting enough for myself to play.

I mean, there's a small part of me that wants to treat one of these teams like real life, where I take over a real life team that I can buy a baseball cap of, and follow their games -- and seasons -- and get invested in a similar way and let it play out, where I can make moves to fix things, but also perhaps deal with a team amidst a rebuild and figure out how to potentially get them out of it over a period of time, since my stories are always kind of quick rebuilds or worse, dynasties of me doing the NBA-style superfriends titles.

So we're at a crossroads, but I do want to get a bit more immersed into the worldbuild I've crafted, because I'm pretty happy with the general structure of things, so the story will stay weird and generally owned by our friends from the UAE, but from there, who knows what'll happen next?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote