View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from www.radioandrecords.com
(the underlined part is my emphasis, highlighting something I didn't realize until I saw it in this article)

Emmis' Hot 97 Terminates Two Over 'Tsunami Song'
CHR/Rhythmic WQHT (Hot 97)/New York has fired two members of its Miss Jones Morning Show for their role in the repeated airing of a parody song that made light of the victims of the Dec. 26, 2004 tsunami in South Asia. Morning show member Todd Lynn was fired for making what management deemed "offensive, racially insensitive comments while on the air." Additionally, producer Rick Delgado was terminated for writing, producing and airing the "Tsunami Song." Morning team members Miss Jones, DJ Envy and Tasha Hightower have each been suspended until Feb. 9, with each individual's pay being redirected to charity organization Give2Asia for the duration of the suspension. Morning show member Miss Info, who is Asian and protested the airing of the Tsunami Song during an on-air dispute with Miss Jones and Lynn, was not suspended. In addition to the suspended morning show host's salaries, Emmis said it has made a $1 Million donation to Give2Asia. "The actions of the morning show crew were socially and morally indefensible and the entire Emmis family is ashamed by this," said Emmis Radio President Rick Cummings. "Emmis and Hot 97 have investigated this matter thoroughly over the course of the last week. Our decision to terminate Mr. Delgado and Mr. Lynn while suspending the other members of the morning crew sends a message that this type of insensitivity is utterly unacceptable." Delgado was also the producer for infamous radio hosts Opie & Anthony's former WNEW/New York afternoon show.