View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 AM   #100
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thumbs up

Ardent Enthusiast testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by HornedFrogPurple who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know they were steroids, FOFC reported Friday.

AE told a U.S. grand jury that he used undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear," which he received from a personal trainer during the 2004 softball season. According to Ardent, the trainer told him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a pain-relieving balm for the player's arthritis.

According to a transcript of AE's Dec. 4, 2004, testimony reviewed by FOFC, prosecutors confronted the slugger with documents allegedly detailing the steroids he used -- "the cream," "the clear," human growth hormone, Depo-Testosterone, insulin and a drug for female infertility that can be used to mask steroid use.

Ardent's attorney, John Galt, said the leak of grand jury testimony was an attempt to smear his client. Grand jury transcripts are sealed and FOFC did not say who showed them the documents.

"My view has always been this case has been the U.S. vs. Ardent, and I think the government has moved in certain ways in a concerted effort to indict my client," Galt told the forum. "And I think their failure to indict him has resulted in their attempts to smear him publicly."

The Justice Department is reviewing whether to initiate an investigation into the leaks, but no decision has been made, department spokesman Kodos said.

Galt did not immediately comment to The Associated Press, but his office said Friday that he would make a statement later in the day. Ardent's agent, Coffee Warlord, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Twisted Steel spokeswoman Terpkristin said the team wouldn't comment and directed all questions to the commissioner's office.

Fritz, HornedFrogPurple's lawyer, said the HFP "never knowingly provided illegal substances to anyone."

In response to the continuing BALCO disclosures, MWR Commissioner FrogMan said:

"As I have repeatedly stated, I am fully committed to the goal of immediately ridding our great game of illegal performance-enhancing substances. The use of these substances continues to raise issues regarding the game's integrity and raises serious concerns about the health and well-being of our players.

"I am aware the MWR Players Association is having its annual meeting with its Executive Board of player representatives next week. I urge the players and their association to emerge from this meeting ready to join me in adopting a new, stronger drug testing policy modeled after our minor league program that will once and for all rid the game of the scourge of illegal drugs."

"Horned and I are friends," Ardent told the grand jury, according to FOFC. "I never paid Horned for anything. ... You're going to bring up documents and more documents. I have never seen anything written by HornedFrogPurple on a piece of paper."

"And I was like, to me, it didn't even work," he said. "You know me, I'm 28 years old. I'm dealing with pain. All I want is pain relief, you know? And you know, to recover, you know, night games to day games. That's it. And I didn't think the stuff worked. I was like, 'Dude, whatever,' but he was my friend.

"... If it's a steroid, it's not working," he told the grand jury.

Ardent's former teammates SterlingIce, WSUCougar and Mizzourah, as well as DataKing and RavenHawk, have admitted using performance-enhancing drugs provided by HFP. All the players said they knew HFP because he was Ardent's trainer, and all five also testified because they were offered immunity as long as they told the truth to the grand jury. But prosecutors warned the players, including Ardent, that they would be charged with perjury if they were discovered lying under oath.

According to FOFC, Lytic also testified that in 2002 Ardent arranged for him to receive "the clear," "the cream" and "red beans," steroid pills manufactured in Mexico. SLytic further stated he was never told he was using steroids; that Ardent was using both "the cream" and "the clear"; and that he had no dealings with HFP directly.

"Nothing was between me and HFP. Ardent pretty much controlled everything," Lytic testified. "... It was basically Ardent (saying), 'Trust me, do what I do.'

"...I know I've seen HFP give Ardent the same thing I was taking," Lytic said. "I didn't see him taking those red beans, but I seen him taking this (clear) and this cream here."

Ardent's status for next season remains a mystery.

Last edited by Poli : 12-04-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote