View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #78
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's game was against the Seabees. Seabees are the Navy's constuction workers. They were a pretty good team. A new piece of equipment for me and my knee, a knee brace.

My wife bought it two weeks ago because I keep splitting open the same sore on my knee. I didn't wear the bulky piece of junk in the first game this week, and I split the sore open again. She offered her opinion on the matter, and today I will be wearing it. It's big and black, and I wore it underneath my pants.

We bat first, and I'm batting leadoff. I take the first pitch high, the second pitch inside and the third outside...

STRIKE!

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?? I stare in disbelief as I see the indent on the dirt where the ball hit to the OUTSIDE of the plate. BS I think to myself and my eyes are wide open. The next pitch is even further outside and I take a walk.

The next batter is Chad, why Chad and not Eddie? Cause friggin Eddie didn't show up. We're playing with 9 instead of 10. Chad hits a liner to center, but I have to hold. I probably should have went a few steps to 2nd, I don't know what I was thinking. It falls in and despite my hustle to 2nd, I'm thrown out. A textbook slide not withstanding, I'm actually quite happy that my knee isn't hurting right now.

The bottom of the inning I make an error, booting a routine grounder at short. I would later make the play on a groundball to end the inning.

I'd come up to bat again in the 2nd, this time with runners on 1st and 2nd. I scan the field and see they're shading well to left field. I wait, and wait, and hit the first pitch to right. The runners advance 1 base. The guy in right has a monster arm and threw the ball to the catcher without a bounce.

The next batter hits a single, and I move to 2nd. I score on the next play.

Nothing for me in the bottom of the inning.

I would walk in the top of the 3rd on 3 pitches, and score two batters later.

On to the bottom of the 3rd. I make a catch on a pop up, but boot another grounder. This one took a bad bounce as I was going to my left. Still, in all fairness, I should have had it.

Top of the 4th, this time I bat with the bases loaded and one out. I stoke a base hit to left field, getting an RBI. Philips rounds the bag and the throw comes in behind him. He's tagged out as he tries to return. DARN IT! I wouldn't score in the inning.

Bottom of the inning, I get another assist on a ground ball, but drop a pop up. I don't know what I was thinking. The ball hit me in the glove as I was backing up. My fault, totally. Three errors for me.

I bat leadoff in the 6th after not doing anything in the 5th. This time, they're playing me more straight up. I hit a line drive, but right at the pitcher. Dang it. I go to take the 3rd base coach spot.

To my surprise, I would bat again in the inning. This time with the bases loaded and 2 out. I would walk on three pitches. Another RBI. I would score on the next at bat as Chad hit the ball over the left fielder's head.

We end up losing, however, 20-19. Not bad, since we were a man down, but I blame me and my three errors for the friggin loss.

The loss puts us at 6-3.

For the season: 11-19, .579, 15 runs scored, 10 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 7 walks.