View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #71
Poli
FOFC Survivor

First off, the game for the Marines was reschedule for July 16th, I believe.

We had a game today, against IT "A" school, which turned out to be a bunch of students.

I led off, and played right center. As per Will's instruction, I played very shallow, and Rob covered my back from left center. What Will doesn't know is my arm is killing me from throwing over the weekend with him up in Milwaukee. I mean, major pain just warming up. I guess I masked it rather well because I'm out there, while Eddie and Chief Martin, our other outfielders, are extra hitters.

We took the field first and the second batter hit it my way, but well over my head. I did misjudge the ball initially, thinking it was going to fall in front of me. I don't think I would have made the catch, regardless. I end the inning with a running over the shoulder catch to my left. They got a couple of runs in the inning.

Leading off, I swing at the first pitch. A buddy of mine from instructor school, EM1 Bowles was doing some friendly heckling from behind the plate. I hit a slow roller to third base that would have got me to first base, but it rolled foul. I took the next pitch, as the pitcher put a lot of spin on it and it spun off outside. I hit the next one out to right center, a base hit.

Eddie is up next, and he's a left hander. When a lefty is up and I'm on first, I try and keep from getting hit by a ball in play. I do this by placing my right foot on the inside of the bag, and most of the rest of me in foul territory. If the ball hits me while it's in fair play I'm out. If it's foul, no out. I try to keep myself in foul territory as much as possible until I know where the ball is heading.

Eddie walks and I head to first base. Jerry, playing right field, is the next batter and sends one to right field. I run to third and Matt, the 3rd baseman and temporary 3rd base coach, sends me home. He's not overly excited, so I turn to watch the ball as I run for home.

CRAP! The ball is headed home! I turn on the reserve Ardent jets, and perform a textbook slide underneath the catcher's tag.

SAFE!

In the process, I open up the cut on my knee again. I don't believe this is going to heal during softball season, I'm just too rough on it.

That wouldn't be the end of the inning. We would plate 5 more before it was over.

The field was quiet for me in the 2nd, but I would get to bat 3rd in the bottom of the inning.

Matt would single leading off, followed by a Bill base hit (he plays first). Matt went to 3rd on the play. 1st and 3rd, no one out for me. Looks like an RBI situation for me.

I take the first pitch inside, but the next one is too good to pass up. I hit it hard up the middle, but the pitcher hits it with his glove. It slows it down enough that they get Bill on the force at 2nd. Matt doesn't score as the play happened rather quickly.

Eddie hits the ball a mile high, and it falls as the shortstop misses the ball. I go to 2nd on the play. Matt would score.

Jerry hits the ball out of the park, and I score on the homerun. I can't tell you the score at this point. A whole lot to very little.

Nothing going on in the field for me again in the 3rd, but I would get up to bat in the bottom of the inning.

This time there were 2 outs, and no one on. I turn on the first pitch. I'm thinking home run. It's gone, but it curves foul. Darn, my first home run, and it was ruined.

I'm tempted to take the next pitch, but it looks good and I swing late. I hit it out to right field, and it's another base hit for me. Eddie is up again, and again I position myself inside the bag. With two outs, though, I'm running on contact.

Eddie hits it hard and on the ground, only it's toward first. I move on contact, right to the ball. I jump sky high and avoid the ball, bringing my legs to my chest in the end to finally clear it. The first baseman was reasonably distracted and missed the ball. I end up at 2nd on the play. Jerry swings at the first pitch and it's a pop up on the infield. I take off running, knowing that there's a possibility that this team could drop the ball, and they do miss it. I slide into home as the umpire calls a foul ball. My knee cries in protest, and I head back to 2nd. Jerry had hit the last one out, so they intentionally walk him for Will after Jerry takes the next 2 pitches.

This was interesting, as Will is honestly our best power hitter. He was 0-10 going into the game, but he's honestly the best we have. He actually plays for the Red Ropers out in town (not in our league) and will be playing with them in the Softball World Series next month in Washington, DC. He knocks the ball out, a grand slam for Will!

After the inning was over, I was moved to left field, where I make a catch on the first hitter.

Nothing else would happen for me in this game. We would end up winning by a heck of a whole lot. In fact, I have no idea what the score was.

The win puts us at 4-2.

For the season: 9-13, .692, 11 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.