View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #67
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, it was an interesting day. Rob was mad at Jerry for his lackluster effort in left field in yesterday's game, and the two didn't say a word to each other at work today.

I convinced Will to bat me leadoff if I had to play, and he said he was tired of trying to make people happy. I am playing short and batting leadoff.

Eddie, our normal left center, comes in the office this afternoon. He is out due to some injury he got during a game later that night with another team. Change in plans, I'm the new left center.

Game time: We actually have a good showing. Hutter shows up, despite not letting Will know beforehand that he could play. Hutter is our normal right center when he shows. Will put him on as the extra hitter batting last. Unhappy Hutter. I'm almost positive he felt he should have been the left center.

Things were switched up for today. Rob in left, me in left center, Chief Martin in right center, Jerry in right. Matt at third, Rob Conrad (new guy) at short, Vinson at 2nd, Bill at first, Senior is catching, and Chupco pitching. A bit of a juggle in the lineup as well, and BTW, Hutter and Smith are extra hitters. Will sat out due to his injury.

We bat first, and so I'm up immediately. I don't take my time, and swing at the first pitch. I've got to stop doing that. It's a looper to left, but the LF makes a nice catch and I'm out. Darn it.

The next 5 batters walk. That could have been me, dang it.

My next and last at bat and I have Hutter on base at first and no one out. I take what I know is a strike, but I turn and watch it to try and get a "deep" pitch call. It doesn't work. The next pitch is decent, but since I have a strike on me, I'm swinging at darn near anything. I smoke the ball to left on a line drive, and the left fielder decides to try and throw Hutter out at 2nd.

Two things wrong here. One, the 2nd baseman wasn't exactly on the bag. Two, Hutter will take you out on a play just to do it. Hutter gets himself a second baseman on the slide and the ball rolls to the first baseman, who near the grass and by the foul line. Hutter goes to third.

I wait. The 2nd baseman doesn't get up. Time isn't called. The shortstop doesn't cover the bag. I run.

Perhaps not the smartest move ever made, but I've never been confused with Einstein. OK, maybe when I was younger and had potential, but that is neither here nor there. I ran.

The screams from the Red Ropers get the 2nd baseman's attention and he goes to cover the bag. I get me a second baseman. Well, I got me a 2nd baseman's legs. He falls over me as I slide in. Two spills in the same play. I love it. Only bad part? I cut up my pants, and my knee at the same time. At least I was safe. The good part? Well, besides roughing the Red Roper up, Hutter scores. Not a RBI, but I'll take the run for the team.

Rob gets me to 3rd base on a grounder to short. I was honestly surprised to see him throw the ball. He went to his left and grabbed the grounder, and threw Rob out from about the edge of the grass after he pulled up. I took off running after he released the ball, but the first baseman still tried to throw me out. It didn't work, and I was in standing.

Senior walks with one out, and the next batter flies out to right center. I was hoping this guy would be cocky enough to try and throw me out, but he wasn't. I score uncontested.

That was my last at bat.

In the field, I make a dazzling diving catch going to my left on a sinking liner. I missed another that I may have had a chance when I tried to slide coming up to the ball. Rob backed me up, but I felt like crap afterward. I wouldn't call it an error, but I could have possibly made that catch if I don't slide. At worst, I might just knock it down after it hit the ground. Instead it skipped past me.

Red Ropers demolished us. They hit the league limit 5 homers, but every one of them had 2 or 3 runners on base. We scored runs, but they score a thousand more than we did.

The game was called when they scored the mercy rule limit, however much that was.

After the game, Hutter basically quit by saying if he has to extra hitter again, he'll quit. He gave Will his jersey. Wuss.

The loss puts us at 3-2.

For the season: 7-11, .636, 8 runs scored, 8 RBIs, 1 double, 2 triples, 3 walks.

AE