View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #60
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Actually, no.

We played that game, and lost 7-6. It was quite an embarrassment. Our left centerfielder was drinking before the game and had a horrible game. We also had a huge baserunning mistake by Smith in the 5th inning that would have tied the game.

I started at shortstop for the game, but batted 9th. I don't know what I did to warrant a drop in the order. For me, I made an error in the 4th, but it didn't cost us a run. Otherwise, I made a putout and an assist in the field.

Hitting wise I was horrible. My first at bat I took a pitch, as usual, and this one hit the inside of the plate, strike one. Now I have to swing if it's close, with the auto 1-1 count, it's now 1-2. I see a nice fat pitch and smash it out towards left center, but somehow the shortstop out there climbed an invisible ladder and leaped off it to make a brilliant catch. Chad was nearly doubled off first base after the catch. Improbable.

My 2nd at bat was nearly the same. A strike on the outside part of the plate, but that was questionable. I take the next pitch, and it was just a little bit further outside than the first pitch. Next pitch is a bit inside. I swing and hit a soft liner to short. An easy out.

I come up with 2 out and no one on in the last inning, and we're down by a run. I take a pitch, but it's right down the middle. Here we go again. The next pitch is inside, but I can't take a chance, I take a horrible swing, and the slow grounder to third makes me 0-3 on the day. I'm thrown out by a step at the bag.

Bummer.