View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
And people wonder why this crap happens...

Anyone else think it's time for someone in Atlanta to clean house? Where's the outrage? For people in Atlanta - are the news networks covering this?

I feel like it's pretty much an afterthought in a lot of ways. This got less play in the AJC for example, than an addition to the new downtown aquarium.

Here's a look at the headlines, you can see where this ranked.

MORE HEADLINES

• Ophelia a hurricane again | Path | • Perdue signs gas bills
• Panel: Security still lax at courthouse | • Shopper takes on Wal-Mart
• Dog shot with arrow; teen charged | • Sculpture dedicated to Lewis

This reminds me of a great story that I read a few years ago, that started with a parable frequently used by a local political analyst to describe Atlanta city government. (if anybody can find this, I'd be indebted, I've lost my link to the actual quote). I'll have to paraphrase.

A young man of about 18 goes to a fortune teller & asks about his future.
She peers into her crystal ball and gravely tells him that his 20's were sure to be full of misery & woe, lost jobs, lost love, poor health. And that his 30's were even worse, with personal & financial ruin time & again, he would find himself suffering in complete misery. Desparate for some glimmer of hope, he asks "What about in my 40's". She replies "Eh, it won't be as bad. By then, you'll be used to it".

That pretty much sums up the situation with a lot of county government around Atlanta. It's been so bad for so long, people don't seem to notice as much as you might think, basically they've gotten used to it.