View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 03:19 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

2013 Postseason

AFC Wild Card Round: Pittsburgh (8-7-1) at Cleveland (12-4)

We host Pittsburgh, a team we know pretty well. Their QB Pereyra has had a good season, but we think pressuring him will be a key to success here. We will probably throw it around a good bit, also.

In the first quarter, we look sharp, and get ahead 10-0 with two scores on our first two possessions. We knock Steelers’ QB Pereyra out of the game on a sack, and they have to go to their backup. Clancy throws four interceptions in the first half, but our defense holds things in check, and we lead 10-3 at the break, fortunately.

It’s not a great day for us, but we do have them under control the whole time, and tack on a couple more scores in the third quarter. A 20-3 win is fine – and we head into the divisional playoffs – but as a road team, unfortunately.

FC Divisional Playoff: Cleveland (13-4) at Kansas City (12-4)

KC has been our nemesis – beating us the last two regular seasons. Should be another tough matchup – KC has a solid team top to bottom. We’ll go with our vanilla attack, and try to turn the tables on them. RB ROderick Arsenault is dinged up, but he will start.

We trade punts through the first quarter, and KC finally gets on the board with a long FG in the early second. KC penetrates deep on us next possession, but DT Gary Cascadden comes up with a huge sack to stop them inside our five – and they again settle for three. But the Chiefs drive again and get in this time on a 16-yard reverse run. We get a late drive to their 15 yard line, but lose a fumble and fail to score yet again. 13-0 at the half.

Midway through the third quarter, we’re finally on the board, with a pass to Elizondo. But a costly interception by Clancy on our next possession gives the Chiefs position for another kick, and it’s 16-7.

We start the fourth quarter pinning the Chiefs at their 2 yard line with a mighty punt. Our defense holds, and we get a golden opportunity – we take over at their 48. Big runs by Aguilera and Ramsey finish the drive, and we pull within two points, down 16-14.

With under 6 minutes left, down two, we face a fourth down at the Chiefs 37 – very tough call. Oskia, our kicker, isn’t the most reliable guy. This would be a 54-yarder. I think I’d be inclined to give it a try, if I were calling the shots. Especially since my job is in the balance, potentially.

We line up for the FG… but there’s a false start on the play. And an injury! WR Blair is hurt, apparently seriously. How this happened on a false start… well, I understand. Regardless, after the penalty and injury, we have little choice but to punt it to them.

Our defense holds, and we get it back at our 28. We get a first down, but also a penalty, and eventually face 4th and 5 from our 30. A quick hitch to TE Norton and we’re back in the saddle. However, Clancy throws an interception, and that ought to seal the deal. Kansas City wins, 16-14, and our Browns are eliminated from the postseason, once again.

Arizona beats Jacksonville to win the Superbowl – they won the first one in 2003, and now have two trophies on the mantle, along with Dallas and Philadelphia.

Philadelphia, incidentally, also lost a close game in the divisional round. I’m not sure how that will ultimately reflect on my career path.

Season Wrap-up

Well, the team certainly took a step backward. We dropped from the elite defensive teams, and our offense shifted toward more risk – and we ended up losing at the hands of taking those risks, I think. The team definitely needs work… but I can’t believe that we’re due for a true makeover – just a few tweaks here and there. Marco Clancy, though, is a mystery. If he wants huge money next season, does it make sense for us to pony up? So far, we’ve been a franchise gaining success by never overpaying – we have done well with whoever we could afford, for the most part.

Tough to say what’s around the corner, now.

Code:
2013 Awards List Award Player Team Player of the Year Nicholas Barnes JAX Front Office Bowl MVP Mercury Shoemaker ARI Coach of the Year Not Yet Awarded Legend of the Game Not Yet Awarded Offensive Player of the Year Nicholas Barnes JAX Defensive Player of the Year Heath McIntyre NOS Offensive Rookie of the Year Winston Martinez NYJ Defensive Rookie of the Year Marcus Chryplewicz HOU All-League First-String Quarterback Nicholas Barnes JAX All-League First-String Running Back Winfred Elliott ATL All-League First-String Fullback Adam Salisbury BUF All-League First-String Tight End Mo Rogers STL All-League First-String Wide Receiver Rick Smith NYG All-League First-String Wide Receiver King Brame PHI All-League First-String Center Lawrence Niles CIN All-League First-String Offensive Guard August Dempsey ATL All-League First-String Offensive Guard Randall Ayotte SEA All-League First-String Offensive Tackle Kenneth Rankins NYJ All-League First-String Offensive Tackle Moe Yost ARI All-League First-String Punter Ronald Tyler BAL All-League First-String Kicker Toney Beebe PIT All-League First-String Defensive End Brian Kavanagh HOU All-League First-String Defensive End Cole Harrison STL All-League First-String Defensive Tackle Cary Drake CHI All-League First-String Defensive Tackle Daniel Flynn CIN All-League First-String Inside Linebacker Brian Flores NYG All-League First-String Outside Linebacker Heath McIntyre NOS All-League First-String Outside Linebacker Leon Coughlin GBY All-League First-String Cornerback Roosevelt Voigt BAL All-League First-String Cornerback Burton Walton HOU All-League First-String Safety William Logan ARI All-League First-String Safety Allen McDonough WAS All-League Second-String Quarterback Kim Roux HOU All-League Second-String Running Back Irv Osgood CIN All-League Second-String Fullback Richard Cummins SEA **All-League Second-String Tight End Devin Norton CLE All-League Second-String Wide Receiver Blake Moss JAX All-League Second-String Wide Receiver Charles Williams CIN All-League Second-String Center Monty Nunley CHI All-League Second-String Offensive Guard Stephen Campbell STL All-League Second-String Offensive Guard Kirk Copeland CIN All-League Second-String Offensive Tackle Eugene Therrien DEN All-League Second-String Offensive Tackle Gene Skrepenak DAL All-League Second-String Punter Sean Romans MIA All-League Second-String Kicker Irv Cash KCY All-League Second-String Defensive End Willie Chenoweth DEN All-League Second-String Defensive End Ricky Graham NYG All-League Second-String Defensive Tackle Wayne Reed PIT All-League Second-String Defensive Tackle Luke Blackburn ARI All-League Second-String Inside Linebacker Christopher Sanchez TEN All-League Second-String Outside Linebacker Clay Moody CAR All-League Second-String Outside Linebacker Randall Halbert ATL All-League Second-String Cornerback David Munn BAL All-League Second-String Cornerback Preston Masterson MIN All-League Second-String Safety Anthony Bates NED All-League Second-String Safety Armando Melgar SDO League's Fastest Man Mercury Hanley CHI League's Strongest Man Rich Fisk NYG

TE Devin Norton, not surprisingly, is our only honoree this year. Not a major surprise – we had platoons and role-shifting all season long.

We’ll head toward the 2014 season with more than our usual degree of uncertainty. About the QB situation, about the drop from the defense, and about my job stability as well.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote