View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Irrespective of the First Amendment? Are we a country that values free speech or are we not?

I understand what you are saying. I do. But the question is not whether we think this is a green light or a red light for free speech. It's about where you draw the line.

Can we yell "Fire" in a movie theatre? Of course not.

I guess the point is that if the "line" puts me on one side and an organization, such as the KKK on the other, I don't see many people objecting to that.

There is no global ruleset that will account for all situations. (Just as the First Ammendment doesn't protect people from yelling "Fire" in the movie house)

At some point we have to make direct, pointed subsets of rules and laws to fit the issues at hand.

I think most everybody agree's that the KKK does us no good. I do not see an assault on the KKK as an assault on our First Amendment rights.

We should be allowed to ban illegal organizations and disident groups. If they feel that passionately about hating the laws and the people of a nation, they aren't going to care to much about our laws anyway.

So to the KKK and to the hate groups in England that support the overthrow of other nations, good riddance.

And in the case of these nutcases in London. How do you think the nations of the Middle East feel knowing that England is "harboring" groups that are plotting their overthrow?

The Hizb ut-Tahrir has no place in any peaceful society. While they are not pulling the tirggers themselves, they are fueling the fires of hatred and segregation.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote