View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
If the USA issued a law to make hate mongering (KKK) an illegal act, I wouldn't feel my civil rights trampled at all. I'm applaud the move.

Irrespective of the First Amendment? Are we a country that values free speech or are we not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
A crime is a crime. Period. A man who robs a store at gunpoint and murders the clerk on duty is guilty of the same crime that the KKK member who murdered a black family is guilty of as well as the "terrorist" who bombed a subway or flew a plane into a building. Murder itself is born out of hatred. You can dictate punishment based on whether or not a crime is premeditated, but not on the person's thoughts that drove that crime to occur.

Exactly the point. A Muslim group that advocates a peaceful change in government of the Middle East has committed no crime, but mere is advocating change. There is no reason to clamp down on them. Crimes are already enforced against, there is no need to criminalize hate. I'm glad to see that some Conservatives still support the freedom of speech our founders set up to guard against tyranny (I'm aware that Britain doesn't have our founders, I'm speaking of the principle of the thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Are you kidding me, its the exact same thing you're asking? Do religious leaders have an obligation to denounce things that are done in the name of their religion. How is a direct comparison any kind of extreme?

Bingo... though I did notice how he avoided your post here. How is comparing the exact same thing to another religion streaching it to extremes? It's perfectly valid to ask should Billy Graham and the Pope apologize for murders of abortion doctors and other abhorrances done in the name of Christ. If they are not required, why should some Imam totally unconnected issue an apology? Though a lot of people disclaim them and they have not been reported, as shown in this thread.