View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

60 Minutes- GTA lead to Murder?

Did anyone catch this story on 60 Minutes last night? I don't actually watch this show much, but turned it on for this story since I am a big Grand Theft Auto player/fan.

I think it is B.S. personally. Like in the 80's when Judas Priest made kids kill themselves....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in678261.shtml

Two weeks ago, a multi-million dollar lawsuit was filed in Alabama against the makers and marketers of Grand Theft Auto, claiming that months of playing the game led a teenager to go on a rampage and kill three men, two of them police officers.

Grand Theft Auto is a world governed by the laws of depravity. See a car you like? Steal it. Someone you don't like? Stomp her. A cop in your way? Blow him away.

There are police at every turn, and endless opportunities to take them down. It is 360 degrees of murder and mayhem: slickly produced, technologically brilliant, and exceedingly violent.

And now, the game is at the center of a civil lawsuit involving the murders of three men in the small town of Fayette, Ala. They were gunned down by 18-year-old Devin Moore, who had played Grand Theft Auto day and night for months.

Attorney Jack Thompson, a long-time crusader against video-game violence, is bringing the suit. "What we're saying is that Devin Moore was, in effect, trained to do what he did. He was given a murder simulator," says Thompson.

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote