View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 11:12 PM   #6
Emmett13
Mascot

Roster updates

The first big update is that I gave sophomore Tyrik Straih a scholarship, despite him not playing a single minute last year for the previous AD/AI. Straih is an incredible defensive players with some very impressive intangibles and I really think he has a shot at getting some decent minutes this year as I'm starting to like him more and senior Ismail Adams a little less.

The next big update:

I had failed to mention (or notice) that our one returning post player, Randy Sibert, was not happy with his lack of playing time last season. He was disgruntled and was thinking about transferring. And when the transfer portal came roaring through the CJBL, we were unable to prevent Sibert from bailing on us. So, we go from one post player returning to zero.

Sibert goes off to UC-Santa Barbara, and while I liked him and would have preferred he stayed, the level of school he ended up with sort of shows he wasn't someone who is irreplaceable.

So we look to take revenge on the portal and snag a few players of our own. As I previously mentioned, we had quite a few scholarships to hand out and certainly would be active in the portal.

I'm looking to add one lead guard and a multitude of post players, so I was aiming to add at least two post players in this cycle, and that's exactly what we did:

The first:

Jermont Williams, 6'9", 231, Senior, Exton, Pennsylvania

Williams played the last three seasons at Eastern Illinois, which to be certain has been an unsuccessful program, but he put up decent numbers on passable percentages. I knew I wanted to grab one guy purely for depth, just in case this recruiting cycle was just a disaster, and I'm hoping Jermont is that guy.

Essentially, he's a big body that is competent defensively and will be competitive on the glass. I'm hoping he's the last post off the bench (i.e. out of the rotation) all season, but if he has to plug in a few minutes, it won't be the end of the world. If he's getting 10+ minutes a game, we're probably in trouble.

The other much more exciting addition is:

Hans Gabriel, 6'9", 219, Sophomore, Des Moines, Iowa

Gabriel was a 3*, ranked #254 last season and was a very productive freshman big man off the bench for a very solid Ohio State squad that made it to the 2nd round of the CJBL tournament last season.

He's a strong defensive player who does a strong, if unspectacular job on the glass. But, what is really exciting about him is it seems like he's a strong finisher around the basket, who might be a major cog to the offense as soon as this season. He was 70% on shots right at the rim, gets to the line and knocks them down at a decent clip, and has some strong post moves to boot. You never know what recruiting will look like, but I'm pretty confident the guy will start at the 4 for us this year.

The negative is that the reason he left Ohio State was for his inability to get along with his teammates. I'm hoping if he gets 24-28 minutes in a starting role, and the rest of our staff and players have high culture/leadership ratings, that they'll be able to keep Gabriel in check and he can be a very productive post in the Big 12.

Recruiting high school players won't kick in until after Christmas, but our needs are clear. We probably are going to add three freshmen bigs, and one of them is very likely to start. And I'd like to add a lead guard, preferably someone who can jump right into a starting spot, and slide Beachem and El Darwich down to the 2 and 3 respectively. But at the minimum someone to play some solid minutes as the backup point guard.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote