View Single Post
Old 12-26-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Flags Fly Forever v2: An OOTP24 Dynasty (Season 15)

I started a thread here, excited to share a dynasty report in OOTP24 using cool system I've stolen/adopted and then modified to taste. Real life got in the way a bit and while I wanted to pick things back up, I did want to start fresh.

So here we are. I simulated ahead to 1946 and I'm taking over one of four new expansion teams that have all popped up on the west coast: The Portland Rosebuds.

Check out the original thread for some more in-depth details on the beginning of the rules...it's fun. There's some randomness involved, and certainly some extra strategy, and has breathed a ton of life into the game for me. It's not for everyone, but I do think it lends itself well to a dynasty thread in that there's usually some interesting decisions to make, and sharing my thoughts usually gets me pretty invested. Feel free to ride along, share a thought, or just read silently.

Pulling in some housekeeping stuff from the other thread for the sake of completion:

Quote:
Some quick Settings notes:

- Scouting is set to low.
- Ratings are 2-8, and we only see potentials. No current ratings (other than defense, speed, etc)
- TCR is set to 125.
- Injuries on High.
- Trading Difficulty is set seven clicks to the right and Hard Mode is turned off.
- We started in 1912 with no history, but stats, financials, and overall feel of the game is modern despite the year. I try to keep the aesthetic (uniforms, stadiums, etc ) stuck in a perpetual 1940s/50s era time loop. Players and teams are all fictional. Modifiers are re-calced every year based on 2012 real-life totals. Such is the beauty of this game.

And now, the system/rules which I'm pulling in from the original thread with some edits for clarity:

Quote:
Without further delay, here's the gist of how I'm playing:

- At the beginning of every offseason, we roll a random number generator twice, resulting in two numbers between 0-3. The first roll is the number of Free Agents we can sign that our scout rates as 45+ Potential (we're using a 20-80 scale, increments of 5). The second roll is the number of trades we can make until the following offseason. If I roll a 1, and a 2, that's one FA acquisition of a player rated 45+, and two trades I can make for the next 365 days.

- A player acquired on waivers or added in the Rule 5 Draft (who, additionally, must be 26 or older for us to claim/draft) will remove one from my choice of those allowances.

- I can trade two-for-one to gain an extra transaction (e.g. If I have 3x free agency adds and 1x trade, I could "trade in" 2x of my free agent adds to gain an extra trade.)

- One of each allowance from Free Agent Acquisitions and Trades can be rolled over into the following season.

- Additionally, Free Agency has its own wrinkles on *when* I can make an offer; I can only make offers to Free Agents on Mondays, in-game. Additionally, to make an offer, I generate a number between 2-8. If the player is rated as a 60 POT, I need to roll a 6 or higher to make an offer. If the player is rated as a 45 POT, I need to roll a 5 or higher. If they're rated as a 80 POT, I need to roll an 8. If I don't roll the number required, I sim ahead until the following Monday and can try again. But as you can imagine, the good players often get taken while I'm waiting to roll the right number, which is precisely the point of this endeavor.

Finally, I added a few wrinkles, which I'll share here and then we will get down to business:

- Performance matters. If we make the playoffs, instead of generating two numbers between 0-3, we generate numbers between 1-3. If we have a losing record, we generate numbers between 0-2. If we finish with the worst record, we subtract one from each.

- If we finish with a negative financial balance, we subtract one FA and trade allowance. If we finish with a positive balance, we add one to each.

- As you could imagine, this allows us to have negative allowances for FA's and trades. These negative allowances roll over, so we'll have to earn them back before we can actively make transactions.

- With all of that said, I do want to allow some flexibility. If we're at a zero for either transaction allowance, we are allowed to utilize one at a 2x cost. (e.g., we have zero trades allowed, but it's the deadline and we're in the thick of a race and I decide I desperately need to make a move; I'm allowed to make the move, but will now have -2 trades allowed. I cannot do this when I'm in the negative, and will have to wait until I'm in the black to make another trade.)

Okay, that's it. It's a lot, but read along and it should become relatively clear. Going to try and keep this pretty informal and casual - maybe a post per season or so. Don't want to get caught up in posting every stat or anything, but if you have a question, feel free to ask.

Onward!

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 01-10-2024 at 02:57 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote