View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #54
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
#KeepGoff

I think that the Lions are in a good position with him. Some pocket change roster bonuses ($5 million this year and next year) and a $30 million annual cap hit this season and in 2024. That is very doable. And it gives the team two more full seasons to make a decision on him. The best thing they can do with him is nothing.

I would avoid the temptation of extending him to reduce his cap hit. If it turns out that last season was fool's gold, you don't want to be locked into it though 2026.

I also think that you have to consider that this is the Lions. You CANNOT ask this fanbase to have the patience for another rebuild with a rookie QB. This team has momentum after last season, and you can't just throw that away.

And Dan Campbell's is part of this, too. Who is a better QB for the knee biter than the guy who's first team was so sick of him that they traded assets to get rid of him? There's a synergy to the cast-off QB leading the Lions to the playoffs. And normally, I think that that kind of momentum/synergy stuff is overrated. But if there's one coach who makes me believe that it matters--it's Dan Campbell.

So maybe Goff isn't taking you to a Super Bowl. But there's no way I'd cast him off to draft a rookie.

Maybe grab a guy in the 4th round to groom.

Stafford took the Rams to the Super Bowl. Goff did the same. According to my metric, Goff had the largest jump from 2021 to 2022 in the NFL. So you probably can't expect him to be as effective in 2023 as he was in 2022. The 2022 version could have won.

I agree that the key for the Lions is getting a couple of impact players on defense.

This is a team that was operating at a playoff level, a threat to get that second playoff victory in the last 65 seasons, at the end of the year.

However, I'd caution that teams picking up six wins from the previous season generally regress. While the defense didn't remain on the path of "worst in the history of the NFL" as the season progressed, they did lead the NFL in total yardage allowed.

As noted, the division is wide open. Minnesota has to be the worst 13-win team ever, Green Bay was uncharacteristically bad on offense and the Bears are awful. They should take a shot now. Start with a run-stopper and build up that secondary depth.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote