Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 07:14 AM   #155
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The same is true in Australia. If the law in Florida banned all foreigners from buying property, that would be more in line with what Canada and Australia. Both countries have also been clear that the restrictions have been put in place to provide affordable homes for its citizens. Whether I agree or not is a different debate. The new law in Florida is not that. The law here is according to the Governor and his supporters one based on national security and to guard against a threat of the Chinese government in general and the CCP in particular. If Canada banned Americans in general and Republicans specifically from purchasing property there, I would ask the same questions about that policy that I am asking about this one.

I was not trying to equate Canada or Australia to the FL law. I understand the FL bill is just targeting the 7 countries "of concern" only. I was simply reinforcing the point that many other countries have restrictions (aka discriminate) on foreigner's buying land & property, and it would not be necessarily "bad" if the US applied some restrictions also especially if the other country(ies) do the same for US citizens/PR.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-24-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote