View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #19
Emmett13
Mascot

Rest of the 2039 freshman class

Due to time constraints, this is coming pretty late (the season is a little over a week old), but better than never. I sign 4 more guys, and they've all played some and have seen their more accurate scouting reports, so it'll be hard to not to have that tint the descriptions. I'll do my best though.

In descending order:

Jack Amoke, 6'4", 186, Waco, Texas, 3*, #337

A little smaller than I like for a wing, but plays solid defense, rebounds and knocks down some threes. His HS stats make him to really lack aggressiveness offensively. But, that's probably fine for a role player. Hopefully he can handle lack of playing time this year and develop into a useful 3 & D guy.

Cameron Stutz, 6'1", 182, Tulsa, Oklahoma 3*, #340

Another guy who is smaller than I'd like, but is 100% an upgrade over Rene Ross. Pesky defensively due to some high level quickness. A strong three point shooter. He's a steady hand at the point, but isn't super dynamic. Will fight for backup point minutes with Aaron O'Neal, but another guy I hope can handle a lack of minutes this year and step into a rotation spot next season.

Josh Armstrong, 7'1", 248, Shelbyville, Texas, 2*

Finally, the size I'm looking for. But, as you can guess the skill level doesn't quite match the mass he has. Big and strong and defends well, but is just adequate on the glass. Offensively, he's decent around the basket and uses his size effectively. Not as worried if this guy can't handle the low playing time and leaves.

Travis Tomic, 6'11', 218, Frisco, Texas, 2*

Insane wingspan at 7'6", so he'll block some shots. Is skinny and is more of a stretch big type offensively with a nice shooting touch. Plays solid defense inside, but his lack of strength probably makes him a 4 defensively.

The starting lineup the first two games of the season was:

G Brandon Vanderwal
G Tyrik Straih
F Jacob El Darwich
F Christian Hannah
C Troy Moss

(spoiler alert)

After the 5th game it had morphed into

G Brandon Vanderwal
G Aaron ONeal
F Jacob El Darwich
F Khadre Thurman
C Troy Moss

The trio of Moss, Thurman and Hannah are quite a bit better than the two freshman posts, and Armstrong and Tomic have only come in during garbage time or foul trouble. They both could develop into something good but it will be a couple of more seasons, so at least one of them will probably be encouraged to leave.

See you in a a month or so for how the 2039 season goes for Oklahoma State.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote