View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #462
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Going to the embassy is going back to that country. My point was that you can't renounce citizenship of another country in the US and the US doesn't and for some countries probably can't track that information.

See UK link I provided to BYU above. Again, you obviously can renounce citizenship without going to the prior country or embassy. I just shared my personal experience.

Quote:
And you're only talking about naturalized citizens, but there are lots of people that are born with dual citizenship and the US government has no way of tracking that information.

I don't have any expertise on those born with dual citizenship. I'll put that under exceptions that I mentioned.

Quote:
I suppose you could make people renounce their previous citizenship before being naturalized, but then that would just allow the first country to deny the request so that people couldn't immigrate to the US. Do you want to provide China a way to keep all Chinese citizens from ever becoming American citizens?

Again, don't see why it has to be "before". Do it "after" you get US citizenship. I've shown you there are processes in place to do it (and no, you don't need to leave the US).

So getting back to original discussion topic

Quote:
There's no record in the US of who has citizenship from other countries and no good way to go about getting that information. .

False. I'll grant you there are exceptions but definitely not holistically like your statement.

Quote:
Then, there's no way for a person in country X to go about renouncing citizenship of country Y. They'd have to go back to the other country and even then it isn't always possible.

Again false, Demonstrably so. Maybe some exceptions for Chinese adoption.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote