View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 AM   #456
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I have zero faith for people to actually put an ounce of effort into tracking that. I am a dual citizen, US and England, I needed a passport 3 years ago. I had one before, served in the US military, the passport agency can see I am a naturalized citizen through my A number, yet they rejected my request. Why? They now want a copy of my N-565 form, which by the way costs over $500.00, which I paid for and requested 3 years ago, which I still don't have.

There is so much needless red tape in the morass that is US immigration, they are not going to put any effort into accurately recording/tracking duals, at least not until the next boogeyman from some other country appears.

By the way, I contacted the nearest British embassy and I can send my birth certificate and have my British passport in 4-6 weeks. When I stop being stubborn over insisting I get it from the US I will relent and do it.

Certainly do not disagree that it's a hassle and INS is inefficient. The orig context to the discussion was "no record" and "no way to renounce". The US does not want nor care enough (certainly when born US and become dual citizen of another country) but if you are naturalized, there is a record of prior citizenship in a database somewhere, easy enough to do some SQL joins.

I take it you've not tried to renounce the UK citizenship? Just to show that its doable with the UK if you want to ...

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/print
Quote:
Fill in the form online. You’ll usually be able to keep your documents while your application is being processed.

If you live in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or a British overseas territory, you have to apply in person or by post instead. Check which you can do with your governor’s office.

If you live elsewhere, you can apply by post. This will take much longer than applying online because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Avoid applying by post, especially if you need your documents back by a specific date.
Quote:
You’ll get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ if your application is successful. This will be your application form, officially signed and stamped.

The date your citizenship or status stops will be shown on the form.

So just challenging what JPhillips said is demonstrably false in the broader sense (with maybe an exception with the intricacies of Chinese adoption). There is a process to renounce UK citizenship and in my prior country of birth.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote