View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 12:09 AM   #88
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Big Colonel didn't rebound as well and had no shotblocking. I would have actually had Mallett 1st Team myself and then debated long and hard about whether Woods or Sanders should be 2nd Team. I notice the Colonel shot 44.2%. What percentage did Woods shoot? That'd probably be the decider for me - who was more efficient at shooting the ball.

Woods and Mallett both play for Holy Cross. Woods actually starts at center, and Mallett plays power forward. Woods didn't shoot much; he averaged right at five FGA per game, but he made 59.0% of them. You can't deny his efficiency.

Mallett was also a more accurate shooter, at 49.3%. So, unless you take into consideration that he wasn't actually playing center, Mallett is probably the right choice.

Sanders outplayed both Holy Cross big men both times he faced them, too. On January 25, the Big Colonel scored 18 points (5-8 from the floor) in our 85-71 victory. Woods (5 points) and Mallett (10) combined for 15, shooting 6-13 between them. Sanders blocked a shot, and neither Crusader big man did.

Holy Cross handed us our first Patriot League defeat on February 22. Mallett was injured and didn't play. Woods took only two shots in 32 minutes, making them both. He had 8 rebounds and was a dominant rim protector with 4 blocks. Sanders scored 14 (6-11), and had five rebounds.

I suppose I undervalue Woods and Mallett a bit because neither of them played a huge game against us. They're both good, but the game calls Mallett a center, even though he never actually plays there. Lenny Catlin, the Patriot League's first team PF, plays the three. And, for what it's worth, Charles Davis, the second team SF, starts for them at shooting guard.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote