View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #35
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Today's game is against the Naval Hospital Core School (NHCS) Staff. Instead of young pups like we played last time, we'll be playing older people that may be more seasoned in softball.

Going into the game, I'm slated to sit the bench, since I'm sick and we have a number of options. This frees me up, in theory, to play short the entire game against the Red Ropers on Friday. That game may well be rained out.

My finger is completely healed up now, thank goodness. My sickness is really just a very sore throat. I've been taking some kicking stuff from Tylenol, though, and I feel a lot better.

As people begin rolling at game time for 6:30, we don't quite have the full lineup there. I'm inserted in at short. The guy scheduled to play was Smith, who showed up at 6:40. Will's rule is if you're not on time, you start on the bench, and Smith wasn't. I start at short, but I'm to come out after 2.

We hit first, and since I'm a 'late' starter, I'm batting where Smith was scheduled, 7th. Our batters go 1-2-3 and before you know it, I'm heading out to short.

I haven't played short since our practice game against the ET students, which was three weeks ago. I tried to get some 'work' in this past weekend, but wasn't able to rustle up anyone to throw with while I was home in Missouri. I'm a little nervous, and wanted to get some throws in from the shortstop spot, but I was given two before the balls were called in.

Starting to my right at third base is Matt Thomas, my preferred third baseman, and at second base is Vinson, my preferred second baseman. Life is good, or so I thought.

The game doesn't start off well for us. A grounder up the middle got past me despite the fact I layed completely out for it in the dirt. Two batters later, one gets in between me and the glove as I slide past the ball. Neither play was an error, but it didn't make me feel any better. I handle a pop up for the 2nd out easily, and by my account we're down 3.