View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wednesday rolled in and I went to Chastain's house for burgers and some light throwing. My finger was bandaged, so I knew I wasn't going to throw much or play the field that day. My throws has a natural curveball going, and I couldn't tell just how much I was putting on the ball. It just didn't feel right. Just a confirmation for me. I wouldn't play the field. Darn it.

It's a shame. I've always been a good fielder. I took a lot more pride in my speed and defense when I played baseball than I did in hitting. Same goes for softball.

Gametime rolls around, 7pm. We're set to play the Naval Hospital Core School Student Ballers. A rag tag unit that featured three female students, of which only one could play decently. We knew we were in for a 'fun' game.

I stand in foul territory outside our dugout watching the pitcher, and he's not getting anywhere close to the plate. His fate is sealed: I'll take every pitch until he throws a strike.

I get up to the plate and despite being slow pitch softball, he somehow slings to slow curves well outside. I'm trying not to smile, since this is my first official at bat of the season and all. The next pitch lands well in front of the plate, and my first plate appearance is a walk. The next two players would end up walking as well, and I would score on a groundout to second base by Will Kerchee. We scored 4 runs in the inning, but should have scored much more.

The Ballers went 1-2-3 in their half, and I was back up to the plate in the 2nd inning with Chief Martin (RF) at first base.

Operating under my previous rule, I took the first pitch. Wish I hadn't, it went down the heart of the plate. A beautiful pitch. I should have swung. Sigh. I'll have to hit anything close now.

Next pitch is outside for a ball, followed by a pitch inside. The moment you sit there waiting for the pitch can sometimes take forever, and a great debate in Ardent's head between the Ardent Senate and Enthusiast House of Representatives ensued. Swing or don't swing?

I let it go. It landed between my feet and home plate, if it would have hit the plate in the slightest I think I would have been called out on strikes. That's a case of beer, and I'm not buying a case of beer for the guys. Wheh. I got lucky there.

Full count, and the next pitch lands in front of the plate. 2 at bats, 2 walks. A single up the middle would plate Chief Martin and sent me to third. I scored on an error with the relay. 2 runs scored on the day for me as well.

Going into the bottom of the 2nd, it was 8-0 us.

I wouldn't get an opportunity to hit in the third inning, but was the 2nd man up in the 4th. By this time, it was 9-0. Chief Martin once again singled, so I had a runner at first.

I hit the first pitch, it looked good to me, and hit it hard. It went scorching over the shortstop's head and in between the left and left centerfielders. The race was on, and I was slowed only by the lack of speed of Chief Martin. I had a solid triple, and scored on my own hit with a bobbled relay.

That wouldn't be the end of my inning, as I would come up again later, this time with runners at second and first.

Once again, I hit the first pitch, and I smoked the ball. A deep liner to right center field, and I took off running. I didn't see where it landed, but was told it hit the right center field fence on the fly. Outstanding, hidden power with a bad finger! I slid on the first base bag, which may have kept me from turning that into an inside the park home run. I was wisely held at third as the ball came in to the pitcher. The next batter would fly out to end the inning.

By that point it was 20-0. One of the rules was up by 20 after 4 innings or 10 after 5. We met the limit and after the Ballers went 1-2-3 again in the bottom of the inning, the game was called.

Not a bad way to start the season.

2-2, 2 triples, 3 RBI's, 2 walks, 3 runs scored. I'll take it.