View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Pre Season

We began practice almost immediately, out at 80-H, since that's the only field on the base that's open right now anyway.

We ended up having to wait until two teams finished playing each other, and then we played the winner.

One problem for my first practice: I don't have a glove.

I have two gloves back home in Missouri, but they're not doing me a whole lot of good there. Fortunately, I knew a guy from the other team, GSE2 Hammack, who happens to be from the St. Louis area. Hammack and I just went through the Instructor course together, so we know each other well and he let me borrow a glove.

First problem solved.

So, out I trot onto the field, and I'm told to go to left for the time being. Before the 'practice' game would start, I'd be shifted to right field as two others showed up late.

So, I'm sitting in right field, minding my own business, trying to remember how to catch a fly ball. I played one game of softball last year in Dubai of the United Arab Emirites (hope I spelled that right). I caught the one ball that came to me, diving across the hot sand to make the catch (I wouldn't recommend that, I cut my right leg up bad that day). Before that, you'd have to go back to my days with the USS Carr and Norfolk First Baptist's B Team in 2000. I played shortstop on the Carr and catcher (darn church politics) for the church team.

Only one ball would be hit my way, and I misjudged it. It fell behind me and in front of Hutter, who threw the ball back in. A grounder came my way, and I threw a laser to third. It held the runner on first base from trying to move to third, at least.

At the bat, I got up to the plate four times, and as 'new guy', I got to bat lead off. We weren't keeping track of balls and strikes, so I was swinging at everything. My first at bat was an infield single on a nubber to third. I got on base my second time up due to an error by Hammack at shortstop. My third at bat was a pop fly that the short fielder caught, and the fourth at bat was a single to right field. I scored once, and knocked in a run in my fourth at bat as well.

I was overall pretty happy with the results. My fielding was real rusty and I desperately wanted more work at it. Unfortunately, playing right field wouldn't get me a whole lot of work.