View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 11:08 PM   #31
Emmett13
Mascot

2042 additions

Losing 3 post players and our starting SG gave us 5 scholarships going into the offseason cycle and we ended up signing 4 guys and adding zero transfers. It was definitely the best class we've been able to come up with so far. Going into it, I knew I needed at least a couple of posts, and I was hoping to upgrade at PG. I had two guys with extensive starting experience in Power and Amoke ready to take ONeal's spot, but I was looking for an upgrade at SG if at all possible.

Here's what I got:

PF Marquese Henshaw, 6'11", 241, Terry, Mississippi, 4*, #43

Our highest ranked recruit, Henshaw has great size, plays great defense and has a high basketball IQ. He's just extremely confident with no great weaknesses. He doesn't have much range to his game, so I think he's likely stuck as a 5, but has the defense abilities to switch some and play some 4, which is listed position.

Garth Ludwig, 6'9", 245, New Orleans, Louisiana, 4* #59

Another highly rated post. I didn't promise Ludwig many minutes, and I was a bit surprised to see he signed with us. I had promised big roles to some top 25 post recruits, but they both chose to go to Kentucky. Getting a top 60 player as a consolation is pretty sweet. Ludwig has a 6'10" wing span at 6'9", so he's never going to be dominant above the rim, but he's thick and strong and does a good job rebounding and like Henshaw has a high IQ. But, he can't shoot, and can't pass and doesn't offer much outside of the paint. If I can keep him as a backup center the next four years I think I'll be doing great, if he has to start, he has some limitations which will limit us.

Tevin Ridder, 6'2", 205, Chaska, Minnesota, 4*, #70

Pretty well signed up with zero competition which was nice. Basically looks like a stronger version of last year's point guard Stutz. A really good defender, and shoots the three pointer really well, but doesn't take a high volume of them. Not going to be any kind of 7 assist guy, but should be a steady PG. Ideally, he can play with another guard that can create some.

Mekel Duell, 6'4", 198, Bossier City, Louisiana, 3*, #235

It's not often you find guards who prefer Grit and Grind has their style of play, so when we saw Duell we jumped all over him. He's a very strong, athletic guard who can get to the basket and finish in the paint as well as a strong mid range game. He also has a nice handle and can create and initiate offense. Even his defense is solid. His three point shot is inconsistent at best, but if it wasn't he'd be a top 25 recruit. Very under ranked.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 04-17-2024 at 11:10 PM.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote