View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
Emmett13
Mascot

Returning Cowboys

We bring back just 6 scholarship players and a handful of walk-ons. So eventually we'll need to add quite a few guys either through the transfer portal or from the high school ranks.

We'll do this by class:

F Ismail Adams, 6'6", 207, Junior, Middleton, Tennessee

Adams primarily played the 4 last year, and I just don't think he fits there. He's a solid defender on the perimeter and the post, but doesn't rebound well enough to get away with 25+ minutes at the 4. He's unbelievably passive offensively. He had an 8.9% usage rate last season, and since his offensive ratings look solid enough, that certainly needs to be higher. Right now, the plan is to start him at the 3, where his defense and three point shot as well as some finagling with some setting will turn him into a decent 3 and D wing this season. If nothing else, his defensive chops will get him some court time, but 29 mpg again probably won't happen.

G Joe Beachem, 6'6", 183, Junior, Dallas, Texas

Long, lanky guard who has played everywhere on the perimeter in his three years. Played primarily at the point this past season and did a solid job. Looks to use his length to get to the rim where he does most of his damage. Passes the ball pretty well, and will certainly be serviceable there this season. He probably shot too many threes last year, and I'm going to try to get him to concentrate on getting to the paint and the line and hopefully dishing off 4 or 5 assists a game too.

G Justas Davis, 6'0", 204, Junior, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Another experienced perimeter player. This one is undersized and had a poor season shooting the ball last season. He's a very strong perimeter defender despite his size limitations at the 2, and I definitely think he's a better three point shooter than he showed in his junior year. I don't want him starting again, but given his defensive chops, his experience and his ability to shoot the three he will be in the rotation next season, but likely around 10-15 minutes.

G/F Jacob El Darwich, 6'5, 226, Sophomore, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

El Darwich was a 4 star recruit, ranked #59, a couple of years ago and my scouts seem to think he still has a lot of room to improve. He's a strong athlete with a nice shooting touch and really just a solid all around offensive game. He's primarily played at the 3 the last two years, but I think he has the handles to be fine at the 2, which is where I think he'll start next season. I'm banking on El Darwich and Beachem being a pretty salty backcourt duo next season.

G Zach Cochran, 6'4, 194, Sophomore, Rayville, Louisiana

A walk on who has received a little playing time the last two years, but one of the rules of the CJBL is that a walk on can only be on the team for two years before they need to be cut or granted a scholarship. Cochran will be the former.

C Khadeem Carlisle, 6'7", 236, Freshman, Silsbee, Texas

Another walk on, although Carlisle received zero playing time last season. He doesn't have much promise, so he's likely to get cut as well and see if we can improve our walk-on quality.

F/C Randy Sibert, 6'8", 205, Freshman, Missouri City, Texas

A 3 star recruit ranked #372. He started getting some playing time at the end of the season, but I've got high hopes for him. He's got a really strong basketball IQ and has great defensive instincts. He's got a bit of an offensive game, but he's never going to be a go-to guy. But, given his intangibles an his ability to rebound he seems like a great glue guy for a grit and grind team. Since I consider Adams a perimeter player, Sibert is our only returning scholarship post. Obviously, I have no idea who else will be on the team over the next few weeks, but I like his odds to see some minutes this upcoming season.

G/F Tyrik Straih, 6'6", 200, Freshman, Katy, Texas

Another walk-on who didn't play, but this one has me intrigued. He's a very solid athlete with some real defensive chops. He struggles offensively, but his ability to play defense is very attractive in a grit and grind system where you have room for defensive stars. It'll be tough to find playing time for him this season, but it's not going to be easy to cut him this time next season.

G Michael Thomas, 6'1", 193, Freshman, Killeen, Texas

The other scholarship freshman. He was a 2*, unranked freshman who flew under the radar last recruiting cycle. He's undersized and is certainly a combo guard and not a true point. But, he's a good athlete who defends well and can at least pull off an okay point guard for a few minutes at a time. But, true to his tweener profile, could have a hard time carving out a legit role in the rotation.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote