View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 02:00 AM   #56
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
...Graham's "trick" lately is to make changing the diaper a chore by "shutting the door" (closing his legs) as I try to put on the diaper. the other day when he was doing it, without thinking, I blurted out "do you want a swat?". unfortunately, his answer was "YES!"...

My daughter, now four, is fairly difficult to punish. Well to some degree the problem is similar to what JonIMG described. It is difficult to identify what exactly she will consider punishment. I usually only threaten spanking now, and that rarely. I used to do it more often. It was punishment number one. If that didn't work, I'd move down to number two. It only took me a year or three to realize that it was a bad approach.

When she was not quite three, a friend told me he punished his daughter(almost 5 then) by making her stand in the corner. He suggested we try it with Kerry. One day Kerry walked up and smacked our TV screen hard by running up to it and throwing her body and hands into it. It is a 45" projection unit, and while I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't damage it, I decided to try the "corner" trick. I took her aside, and explained what it was she had done wrong, and made her stand in the corner. After I let her out of the corner, she ran at the TV, smacked it. This time with one hand. She then turned around, and ran straight back to stand in the corner. Once there, she looked over her shoulder and grinned at me.

As for Craigsca, I don't really have any advice, other than to tell you you are doing the most important stuff you can by loving him, and trying to get him help. Since our four month old was born, Kerry seems to become more and more froward every day. My wife and I just keep trying different approaches, and while that makes us a little inconsitent, I think we are making a dent in her behavior. So keep working at it, and Best of luck to ya.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote