View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 07:17 AM   #4543
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Finished the Bon Jovi documentary last night. It was really well done. I commend him for putting it all out there and facing the tough questions head on, warts and all. I had seen the video of him performing a couple of years ago where he could barely sing, but obviously didn't think much of it as I'm long past my interest in his music. I didn't know he ending up having surgery.

The entire thing is done in a "then and now" back and forth way. The entire history of him and the band is played out with frequent cuts to 2022/23 and his struggles trying to perform a 15 date tour after Covid, his surgery and then post-surgery whether he could sing well enough again to record/tour or hang it up.

From a personal perspective, it was an interesting watch. The first 1.5-2 episodes, I remembered pretty much the entire story. I even remembered who they were touring with when You Give Love a Bad Name broke (38 Special), because I saw them open on that tour in Atlanta (the only time I ever saw them live). He dropped the mic stand on the drummer's rig from on top of the riser during YGLABN - I guess it was a memorable performance for me?

Anyway, shortly after New Jersey came out and I headed to college, I quickly moved out of hair band phase and barely remember hearing any music he or they put out after that. I definitely remember the Young Guns stuff, but I had no clue he acted and barely recognized any subsequent hits. In fact, he was so far off my radar the only reason I knew Sambora left the band was because he was replaced by a guy who was a big King's X fan who some of us knew from message boards. I didn't put 2 +2 together for a couple of years, though.

But the whole thing was interesting watching him evolve and especially seeing him age so poorly in the past 5-6 years. Even the tour they showed from 2013, he looked and sounded like himself. Today, he looks and sounds like a 75 year old grandma. Aging sucks. I definitely admire the way he's hit it head on and pulls no punches about giving it up if he can't maintain a high standard.

Definitely worth watching if you're of a certain age or just like those kinds of musical career documentaries.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote