View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 06:15 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Quarterback
This is the big one on offense. Goff played exceptionally well last year. He seems to have really clicked with OC Ben Johnson and had a great statistical year. That being said, he's still Jared Goff and has all the limitations that come with it. After watching the Super Bowl and Hurts and Mahomes super human performances, it's hard to imagine winning it all with Goff as your QB. I just don't see what the other options are.

I don't think the Lions are in a position to trade for or sign a veteran QB that would supplant him.

I am not in love with the draft class. Even if all of the QBs happened fall, such that the Lions wouldn't have to give up draft capital to move up, (which won't happen), I am not sure if Bryce Young, CJ Stroud (who seems to be like a young Goff in that he can be really good so long as he isn't facing pressure), Levis, or Anthony Richardson are really all that.

The Lions are poised to make a push now - and even making or dare I say winning a playoff (a feat that has only happened once since 1957 and that was back in 1991) would be huge for this franchise - and spending that pick on a QB wouldn't help the Lions next year or could even push them back a few years. They will need to address the QB position at some point. I have no problem with them using a lower round pick on a young, back-up QB without any intention of him becoming the full time starter, because I can't recall the last time the Lions had a back-up QB of note.

The Lions can hang onto Goff this year without having to make a big decision on his future, but after that something will have to give.

I think the Lions view Goff as their starter this year and into the near future and, unless something weird happens, stand pat and don't draft a QB early.

#KeepGoff

I think that the Lions are in a good position with him. Some pocket change roster bonuses ($5 million this year and next year) and a $30 million annual cap hit this season and in 2024. That is very doable. And it gives the team two more full seasons to make a decision on him. The best thing they can do with him is nothing.

I would avoid the temptation of extending him to reduce his cap hit. If it turns out that last season was fool's gold, you don't want to be locked into it though 2026.

I also think that you have to consider that this is the Lions. You CANNOT ask this fanbase to have the patience for another rebuild with a rookie QB. This team has momentum after last season, and you can't just throw that away.

And Dan Campbell's is part of this, too. Who is a better QB for the knee biter than the guy who's first team was so sick of him that they traded assets to get rid of him? There's a synergy to the cast-off QB leading the Lions to the playoffs. And normally, I think that that kind of momentum/synergy stuff is overrated. But if there's one coach who makes me believe that it matters--it's Dan Campbell.

So maybe Goff isn't taking you to a Super Bowl. But there's no way I'd cast him off to draft a rookie.

Maybe grab a guy in the 4th round to groom.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote