View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #271
Suicane75
Coordinator

1972 NLCS

We took game one 6-3 on the backs of homers from McCovey & Brinkman. Bumbry had 3 hits from the lead off spot as Jenkins bested Drago to give us one game lead. The bad news is that we lost Tim McCarver to a funky knee for about two weeks. We also lost Julia Javier for a few days with bursitis in his shoulder. I guess he is getting old.

We had our chances in game two, but Keller bested Klages in a tight 3-2 victory to send the series back to Philly tied at a game a piece. All 3 Giants runs came off of a 3 run homer from Bobby Bonds.

We came from 3-1 down in game four, scoring 3 times in the 6th inning, the big hit being a 2 run, 2 out double from Bert Campaneris. We added a couple of insurance runs in the 8th and Bill Zepp closed it out as Tommy John bested Jim Kaat and we won game three 6-4. Julian Javier is back tomorrow as we try and close it out.

Mike Caldwell got the call in game four against Dick Drago and he was more than up to the task as he tossed 8 innings of shutout ball. Every regular but Javier had at least 2 hits. McCovey went 4-5 with a homer and 2 RBI, Bumbry went 3-5 with a homer and 3 RBI and Yaz added a shot of his own as we rolled to an 11-0 win and another trip to the World Series.

In a bit of a shocker, after losing game 1 of the ALCS 8-2 to the Yankees, the Twins stormed back to take the next 3 games, including games 3 and 4 at Yankee Stadium. Felix Millan and Graig Nettles each hit .467 in the series and Nettles had 2 homers and 5 RBI in the four games. The Twins are baseballs feel good story this season, and a lot of people are rooting them on to topple the mighty Phillies. I honestly think I can knock this team around but it is the World Series and they're here for a reason, so who knows.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote