View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #258
Suicane75
Coordinator

1971 Off Season

Mota is asking for close to $200K a year. I don't want to do it but I've got to let him walk. Even with the new stadium opening up, we have Al Bumbry ready to play and it just doesn't make sense to invest so much in Mota. It's a big risk letting a perrenial .300 hitter at the top of your lineup walk, but it's one I've got to make.

Danny Lazar gets $110K in arbitration. I may try and keep him if we can get that number down in contract talks but we lost over $700K this year and I've got to be careful about how many more seasons I hemorrhage money.

I decide that we have the arms in the minors to move Lazar. We ship him to Texas for 24 year old catcher Johnny Oates and 24 year old 1B Roe Skidmore. Both those guys are good, ready to play prospects, not world beaters, but it's a good deal for Lazar.

Tim McCarver is in the last year of his deal and he wants about $240K per year, right now I think that's way too rich but I'm not gonna move him, I'll let this season play out and see where we stand financially after a year in the Vet.

Dick Simpson hits arbitration next year too so that's more cash we'll have to dole out.

Two new additions to the starting staff this year as rookies Mike Caldwell & Don Durham step in. Rick Henninger had a semi decent year last year but both of these guys are better than him so he's headed to AAA.

Al Bumbry takes over in Centerfield for the departed Manny Mota against right handers, and for at least this year, Paul Blair will man center against lefties, both me will start the year from the lead off spot but if they're sucking, we'll move em down.

Johnny Oates is our new backup catcher, easily the best we've had since Buck Rodgers, and if our money situation doesn't improve he'll probably be taking over next year.

So some only 4 changes to our roster but they're fairly big ones, I still think we're probably the class of the East but ya never know.

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how our financials shake out. We have $1.1M in the coffers but we're projected to lose almost a million this year, hopefully more seats equals more revenue, we'll see.

Let's get this baby shaking.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote