View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Brilliant episode.

Back to running, don't mean to threadjack here, but is 10 months enough time to train for a marathon? I've pretty much been voluntold I'm doing one in October. When it comes to cardio, I would say I'm in decent shape. Can do 3 miles between 20-21 minutes, nothing spectacular. Never timed myself after 3 miles, but I believe I can run between 5-7 miles without breaking down, no clue after that. So, do I have enough time to train for a marathon in October? Really just looking to finish, don't really care about the time.

10 months is plenty of time to prepare for a marathon, if you put in the training, particularly as you appear to have a bit of a base to start from.

Most 18-week marathon training programs assume that you have a reasonable level of fitness when you start, though - for example, the Hal Higdon Novice programs start with this note:

Quote:
PEOPLE DIFFER GREATLY IN ABILITY, but ideally before starting a marathon program, you should have been running about a year. You should be able to comfortably run distances between 3 and 6 miles. You should be training 3-5 days a week, averaging 15-25 miles a week. You should have run an occasional 5-K or 10-K race. It is possible to run a marathon with less of a training base (particularly if you come from another sport), but the higher your fitness level, the easier this 18-week program will be.

From personal experience, the more running you do in training, the less it will hurt during and after the marathon - if you're committed to doing the marathon in October, I'd recommend that you start to build up the amount of running you do now...
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote