View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
The good news is that it sounds like you have the body for running.

Bad news is that you are at a pretty serious disadvantage if you hate running.

I think that can be overcome, though - particularly if you run with a goal in mind (like the support of Aids, for example ). Folks I know that don't like to run but do it to get in shape swear by their iPods (I never wear them outdoors but will on some long treadmill runs).

Two months is not a lot of time to get ready for a race, but you can certainly improve your fitness to a point where you *should* be able to at least do the entire 8k without feeling like you are 80.

Jeff Galloway (website) is probably the top "beginner running" coach out there and he is a regular contributor to Runner's World. I would spend some time at his web site. He has extremely reasonable 5k and 10k beginner training schedules.

Stick to that. Once you finish a race for which you have trained, I am willing to bet that you'll want to do it again so that you can beat your previous time or just so you can recapture that feeling of crossing the finish line.

Then all of a sudden you'll be a runner!

I agree 100% with what Subby said, though I'll admit I was a "dangerous" runner and used music regularly. Actually, back when I could run, I would sometimes listen to various military cadence chants (and chant along with them, if I was running outside), which helped me find a tempo and regulate my breathing. It amazes me how many people forget to breathe when they run, or hold their upper body too tight. Singing/chanting helps with that (though makes you look funny to other runners on the trail).

If you truly are a couch potato right now, the Runner's World Couch to 5k program is always the one I recommend (over the Cool Runnings one), if you're not quite a couch potato, you can jump into the training in the middle there and then adapt it into a 10k training program, which would be perfect for your 8k. The plans outlined at Race Training for Runners: RunnersWorld.com are also useful and may help you get yourself a little more motivated.

Wish I had more to say on motivation. I find that most people need to get out of their head (my best friend does, for sure, when she runs, she starts thinking too much). Since it sounds like you're motivated now, START NOW, but also set milestones for yourself. "Once I hit 3k continuous running, I'm going to buy myself a fancy dinner" or something like that. Treats for yourself. And, let everybody know. That way you can't punk out.

Good luck....
I'm more than happy to answer any other questions, as they come up.
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote