View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 05:47 AM   #499
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I'd be wiling to enter into a friendly wager that there will be tackles made in the upcoming season. And that we won't have tackles replaced by "asking nicely to take a knee" at any point during the season.

And also that the league will make it through the next season without going out of business, not "to a degree", but completely - they'll make a ton of money and dominate TV ratings.

I agree with all of that. I also know that we are at a point where players have - this isn't speculation, it's been happening for a while now - asked for clarification from the league on what is/isn't a legal tackle after getting fined/suspended, and they can't get a straight answer. There are a number of types of plays, one example being when a receiver dives to catch an overthrown ball and a DB is closing in coverage, where there is basically no acceptable way to try and break up the pass. If the DB dives as well, high chance of a helmet-to-helmet or similar, and if they don't do that, then they are allowing the play to proceed unopposed, in which case why are they even out there?

Facts about popularity don't mean a whole lot to me. Many things are popular which are not good, and many things are good which are not popular.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-02-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote