View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #450
Atocep
Coordinator

The problem with not seeing a problem with something from the other side is the right has increasingly become more about "whatever the left likes we don't like" and the data backs it up. The left tends to be very stable on its viewpoints while the right's viewpoints shift as its political leaders viewpoints shift. And since 2016 that really does come down to whatever the left is for I'm against.

As for the team politics, my wife and I have had a lot discussions about this over the past few weeks. She's had some frustrating realizations about her mom and step dad. They've been right wing since they left California 20 or so years ago, but since Trump took office their views and even the things they enjoy have been shaped by right wing stereotypes. It's like there are checkboxes you have to check in order to be considered good republican.

Her mom facetimed her a few weeks ago excited to tell her that for their 20th anniversary they're going to do a road trip starting in Georgia to visit Stone Mountain, then to Kentucky, finally a stop in Tennessee. Basically they're planning a good, southern, confederate vacation. My wife was so stunned I guess it showed on her face and instead of reading as the WTF that it was, her mom thought she didn't know what Stone Mountain or some of the other sites they're visiting are so she proceeded to explain.

Her stepdad and mom both watch NASCAR now, which they made fun of until 2016. Her dad, who owns a business for roofing and painting houses is now 100% anti-immigration despite a long history of not only hiring illegals, but helping them find a place to live, helping to pay to move them, and helping them with paperwork. Her dad doesn't go to church and previously hated churches as an organization, but now supports the church and considers him self religious. I could go on and on with their shit in viewpoints just since 2016.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote