View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 01:42 AM   #21
Emmett13
Mascot

I did manage to get the preview in there and referenced how poorly we started when I talked about an immediate lineup change.

Here's how the regular season/conference tournament turned out:

I'm having to recollect a decent amount here, but it started off obviously with two losses, including a disastrous first sim that gave us two quick losses. We recovered and found a decent stride with the highlight being two home wins against KU and Cincy, who are always at the top of the conference. We were knocked out in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament by BYU, who gave us three losses.

We did manage to sneak into the national tournament as a 12 seed in the play in game. And here's how that went.

If you don't feel like counting up the rounds, don't worry, I'll do it for you: The win over Fresno State was the play in game, which means all of those wins got us to the Elite Eight before Stanford dashed our hopes. But, a truly great run. A few seasons later (remember it's 2042 now), the league will do away with the play-in game. The recruiting boost I got from this run, that will pay major dividends down the line is in large part due to this season.

Washington was a 5 seed, UNC a 4 seed, LSU the 9 seed and Stanford the 2.

Our offensive rating ended up #92, and our defensive rating was #130, which gave us a net rating of 101.

The starting lineup by the end of the year:

PG Brandon Vanderwal SR - 32.3 mpg, 13.1 ppg, 3.8 apg, 2.4 rpg, 1.31 spg, 1.64 topg, 47.5% FG, 46.2 3P%

Truly the reason we had the success we did. Ended up being drafted in the 2nd round and has seen a handful of minutes in the pros. Excellent three point shooter and was definitely the MVP that season.

SG Aaron ONeal FR - 30.5 mpg, 10.4 ppg, 4.8 apg, 3.0 rpg, 1.58 spg, 1.58 topg, 49.7 FG%, 35.7 3P%

A big guard who had a really solid freshman year. Played a lot of backup point, which gave me the idea he could be the full time point as a sophomore. It sort of worked. This would be the best year for him shooting the three.

SF Jack Amoke FR - 16.4 mpg, 4.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, .91 spg, 46.2 FG% 46 3P%

Ended up starting the last 20 games including all of the postseason contests. Was solely used as a spot up shooter on offense and a solid wing defender. Did not shoot many threes, but when he did they were typically on target.

PF Khadre Thurman SO - 26.0 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.49 bpg, 49.2 FG%

Got into the starting lineup a few games into his sophomore year and will pretty much never leave it. 110% a role player, in that I just wanted him to be a defender and be active on the offensive glass, while shooting as little as possible. He did the job and it allowed me to get my better players more shots.

C Troy Moss SO - 28.7 mpg, 11.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, .8 apg, 1.36 bpg, 53.9 FG%

Started every game as a freshman and sophomore and will maintain that all the way through. Just a really solid big guy who scored enough to be a threat and was a strong defensive anchor, even though he was a tad bit undersized at 6'9".

Rotation (played every game):

PF/C Christian Hannah SO - 22.7 mpg, 6.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 42.5 FG% 18.3 3FG%

Hannah turned into a pretty frustrating player. He started the first 5 games of the season, which did not go well. He settled into being the main post off the bench all season. He never shot the ball as well as I hoped, but this was the season he received the most minutes. 2.1 assists for a bench post shows he had some skill. His highlight: 24 points and 9 boards against Washington in the 1st round of the National tournament.

SF/SG Jacob El Darwich SR - 24.2 mpg, 11.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.51 spg, 40.9 FG% 34.8 3FG%

An extremely hot and cold player. There were games where he was nailing threes and was a very solid wing, but there were more games where he was a complete bomb. He ended up moving to the bench and led that unit and did a pretty good job, and if I remember right I had him closing games instead of Amoke. Will I go back and look? No.

SG/SF Brandan Wimberly FR - 13.2 mpg, 3.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1 apg, .84 spg, 50.4 FG%

Athletic, big wing that could really defend. Had some really good games and showed up in the postseason.

Sporadic time:

SG Tyrik Straih JR - 18 G, 2 GS, 9.7 mpg, 1.7 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 40.0 FG%

He started most of his sophomore season because of his excellent defense. After the team started off horribly, I decided to blame it all on him and he hardly played the rest of the season. I was probably premature in doing that in hindsight. Not too worried about it though!

C Josh Armstrong FR - 23 G, 5.0 mpg, 1.2 ppg, 1.1 rpg, .23 bpg, 47.4 FG%

A huge (7'1", 252) freshman who was taken along with another 2* freshman when we swung and missed on numerous post options trying to fill some deep depth options. With foul trouble issues sporadically popping up, Armstrong got into quite a few games and played every single game of the postseason run.

PG Cameron Stutz FR - 8 G, 4.5 mpg, 2.4 ppg, .6 apg

Didn't play much at all with fellow freshman ONeal taking up all of the backup point minutes. But he showed promise shooting the ball.

C/PF Travis Tomic FR - 8 G, 3.0 mpg, .5 ppg, .5 rpg

Huge (7'6") wingspan. But it was decided early that Armstrong would be the emergency depth at the 5 and that about wrapped it up.

Walk-ons

Jack Stone, Jordan Taylor, and Parker Harding were the three walk-ons this season and they would all be cut the following season.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 03-21-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote